Search This Blog

Friday, October 5, 2012

Can We Use Insect's Maggots As Food For Swiftlet Chicks ???

I posted this wild idea to a group of people from UPM today September 26th 2012.

I might sound crazy but have any body ever tried?

Today I was invited by a good friend to accompany him to meet a group of Professors, Lecturers and student from University Pertanian Malaysia.

I never knew that some of them have read my blog but I am proud to say that some did.

It was my first meeting with people who are keen to explore doing research on swiftlet farming with Public Sectors.

The key person who initiated this meeting was a BH owner who wanted to allow UPM to conduct any relevant research on swiftlet farming using his operating BH.

Ever since he mentioned his intention I have been calling him to know the result so far.

After submitting his presentation materials to the University he received a positive result and wanted to have a brief discussion on how the Faculty can work with him.

I was invited to be one of the participant so that I can bring more ideas that I believed will help the Industry.

During my opening introduction I quoted my case about the lack of Government support in swiftlet industry.

It can bring in more than 1 billion a year and yet we have nothing or not enough support by the appropriate ministry.

If you have problem to breed fish we have Lembaga Kemajuan Ikan.

If we have problem with our rubber trees we have the RRI.

If we have problem with palm oil we have MPOB.

If we have problem with our tobacco plant we have Lembaga Kemajuan Tembakau.

If we have problem with our Padi plantation we have the Lembaga Kemajuan Padi & Beras Negara.

But just try this.  If you have problem with your swiftlet farm, who do you go and see?

This is why I suggested to the PM before that he should push in the setting up of Lembaga Kemajuan Penternakan Sarang Burung Walit (LKPSBW).

Anyway my main intention to join today meeting was mainly to create some interest in UPM to help our swiftlet industry.

No matter how small they participate it will be a good start.

The following ideas were generated during the 3 hours meeting:

1) To generate a SOP for insect breeding for swiftlet.

2) To generate a SOP on breeding of swiftlet.

3) To conduct research on the use of affordable gadget to minimize nitrite found in swiftlet nest.

4) To conduct research on the use of specialized gadget to minimize sound pollution caused by BHs.

5) To conduct research in the use of nano technology on traceability of swiftlet nest.

6) To conduct research in tracing the percentage of young birds that return back after releasing exercise.

The above are just some ideas and it will be dependant to the faculty to go ahead or not.

If the above lists are selected and each have a positive result I think it will boost the Industry that we love so much.

Perhaps the university will continue with many other areas that are crucial.

I cannot say more than thank you very much for giving me and my friend an opportunity to share our ideas.

All in all it will be good to our swiftlet farming industries.

Those who would like to offer their help, like allowing these researches to use your BH, will be most welcome.







No comments: