Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

By Accident His BH Nests Jumps By 100% !!!


This morning I received a blog reader from Sulawesi Indonesia.

He came down to Kuala Lumpur just to meet me for some advises plus wanting to purchase some new sounds and a few canisters of the Super Pheromone.

I met him for a cup of coffee at a new hotel at Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur.

"Pak Harry I have been following your blog and really admired the way you write your blog.  You wrote them professionally and you introduced so many gadgets that can helps people like us in swiftlet farming industries."

I told him my main purpose to write so many articles and each posting do have some kind of hidden message(s) that are useful to every reader.

This is something noble and I am grateful to be given the opportunity to be a blog writer.

One of the many subjects that we spoke about was about "force harvesting".

"Pak Harry do you encourage the force harvesting and why?"  he asked.

My answer to him was simple.

When we own a BH we need to set our objective right.  One of the most common objective is to increase the number of nests by 100% a year (12 months).  If you carry out the force harvest technique you will gain at least 30-40% increase within 3 months.  There were cases where I discovered some one who gained 75% increase of nests within the same 3 months after the operation.

He understood my point and share with me a case that happened in his own town.

"Pak Harry I got a friend who owned a BH in the same town that I lived.  Months after months his BH nests remained dormant and due to his frustration he harvest all its nests and he said that he don't care what will happen.  Even all the birds will move out go to hell with them.

However after two to three months he discovered that the total number of nests suddenly doubled."

That was what I was trying to tell you.

If you have the opportunity to talk to any BH owner whose BH was recently burglarized you will have the same stories about how sad the owner was when he found out that his BH was broken into and all those nests were missing.

However within two to three months the number of nests will be different as compared to prior to the event.

What he should have done is not to enter his BH for about two to three months and make sure his sounds were running well.

"Pak Harry, if I want to carry out the force harvest how frequent should I do?" his next question.

It all depend on you.

If I were you I will do once a year.  Choose the right timing and do it with minimum effect on those baby birds.

In west Malaysia we have foster parent who can look after those eggs and baby birds if the owners wanted to carry out the force harvest.

The only thing that he needed to do prior to the force harvest he need to provide adequate information on the number of nests plus estimation on the number of babies.

The fostering group need to prepare enough food for those babies once they were taken back to the breeding centre.

I wish we will soon get the SOP on the food preparation for these baby birds.

I was recently advised that the blending of insect and several vitamins have been used successfully recently.

It is a matter to time that the right formulation will be announced.

No comments: