Search This Blog

Friday, August 5, 2016

Sedili BH: Three Years Ago Was With Only 2 Nests !!!



I was called by this Sedili BH owner asking for my help to stop those owls from entering his BH.

I remember writing about his BH some time ago.

Read this post: http://swiftletfarming.blogspot.my/2013/10/sedili-bh-after-operating-for-1-year.html

When I first entered this BH was with only 2 nests after almost 1 year and 4 months into operation.

I am very glad that this BH now has changed and the number of nests jumped to almost 500.

I am also glad that I was the person the owner chosen to upgrade his BH.

I took almost 3 weeks to change the inside and outside.

Now with so many birds he wanted more if I can help.

The first thing I told him to do is to stop the owl attacks.

If they continue to do so his BH will be in a very bad situation.

The nests number will plumb and there will be no new birds prepared to venture inside.

So I installed two owl traps for him inside the first room after the LMB hole.

The next most important will be to wet his BH.

I can see that the floors were very dry and not attractive to lure those young birds to return home.

With almost 500 nests I told him to focus in getting those young birds that were hatched and raised in his BH.

Every cycle there will be around 1000 young birds.

If he can find all the ways and means to bring them back home he will be populate his BH in a very short time.

These young birds tend to migrate to other BH if the BH is too dry.

I keep telling him to wet the floor and the wall.

He might want to perhaps water proof the BH floors and install any kind of water flooding system to wet the floor.

He need to make sure that there is no cracks on the floor since it the water should seep in and wet the lower floor his nesting planks will be destroyed.

The rest of the things looks okay except he now need to harvest all those nests that were occupied.

I pointed out to leave the two screws every time the fake nest was removed.

If he remove all, with the screws, the will be a very high percentage of bird will move to other location.

The screws can be removed during the nest harvesting of the newly formed nests.



No comments: