Search This Blog

Sunday, August 25, 2013

BH Proper Design Might Be The Key Issue !!!

 (The back View of the huge monkey house)

Yesterday August 17th 2013, I happened to meet someone who owned a BH for almost 3 years with just 8 nests.

He lead me to his BH on a piece of agricultural land and I was taken back to look at how big was the monkey house areas.

He asked me if I remembered him.

My answer was that I cannot precisely remembered when we have met before but I knew we have met before.

His BH design was a bit different from those BH I have entered.

A kind of weird design.

By looking at the outside I was curious how come the monkey house areas was so huge with three entrance holes.

He opened the data room door and later lead me inside.

The ground floor was with a number of water ponds and it was very cool (temperature).

I kept looking at any possible reasons why those birds refuse to enter and stays.

After looking at the way the BH internals were orientated I went upstairs to view the entrance holes areas.

Hmmm..... looks very unusual and some of it does not make sense to me.

"If you wanted to reactivate your BH I suggest that you do something to this area.  I believed you should focus on the side entries and shut the opening on the ceiling.  You also need to block the path towards the wrong end of your monkey house roving to make sure those birds will fly down towards your nesting rooms"  my first comment about how to start his BH transformation.

"Now you cut off one entrance hole and left with two more.  One is facing the East while the second is towards the South. Since the East facing hole is towards the "Surau and Residential houses" I think you should concentrate on the South facing hole.  What I wanted you to do is to open this hole larger to about 3 feet by 4 feet."  that was my second instruction.

" You need to reposition your hexagonal tweeter more to the South facing entrance hole and install a few pole tweeters with at least three 2"x5" tweeters on the enlarged entrance hole.  Two set one on the left side and the other on the right side on the window frame."  he nodded with pleasure.

"When those birds enter your monkey house roving areas you need to think of all the ways to pull them into your nesting rooms.  As such you need to install additional pole tweeters, two pieces of 2"x5" tweeters, around the tunnel walls.  Okay put one here and here and here." I showed to him the precise spots.

"Now lets go down to the 1st floor of your three nesting rooms." we walk down from the monkey house roving room to the 3rd floor of the building.

"I think your third floor need some kind of light blocking coming inside from the tunnel.  I wanted you to shut all these areas and only open a door about 3 feet from floor up to the beam.  Yes shut the current entrance hole too." I showed him precisely where the new walls to be erected.

"You might need a door to enter the floor but placed it here."  again I pin point the precise location.

"Remember if you wanted those birds to find the entrance door you need to equip enough external sound tweeters on the three feet wide door frame.  A set of three 2"x5" pole tweeters will do well." I added to him.

Pak Harry what about inside the nesting room, do I need to erect any VIP room? he asked.

"Sure if you wanted more visitors to stay and feel safe I recommend at least one VIP room to be located here." I should him which areas to be blocked off.

"You might want to create one more VIP room at this location.  The door should be at the corner." I showed him the second area which I think will be a focal point of interest.

"If you look at the walls you can still see those light coming in from your air vents enclosures.  I suggest that you get those black plastic used for orchid plantation sun protector to cover all the openings.  By doing so your nesting rooms will be more conducive." I showed him what I was very concerned about.

"Why don't you add some frills onto your nesting planks?  What if you install more fake nests?  Try to install at least 50-80 pieces onto the planks especially inside the VIP rooms?" I make some suggestion.

He nodded and jot down to make sure he remembered.

We went down to the middle floor and later to the lowest floor.

The way to go is to do exactly what I suggested for your top most nesting floor.

Just copy those ideas and I am sure you will see additional numbers of nests withing the next few months.

We adjourned to a coffee shop and I was glad to be of service to him.

He told me that he was thinking of getting me over many many months ago but was not able to due to work commitments.

The moment he read my blog about my Malacca trip he quickly phone me up.

It was worth all the effort made and thank me for dropping by.

He will start the renovation as soon as he find the time.

Good luck to him and I did provided him with a set of new sounds (SuperVac and SuperBabyKing).

The external sound was excellent.

"Wow never seen so many birds coming in and out of the entrance windows Pak Harry." he showed how pleased he was with my test.

Good for him and I will try to follow up to see his progress.

I told him that I will be starting a renovation job at Sungai Rambai BH in two months time and I would be pleased to guide him during the period.

Best of luck to him and I wish him the best.


No comments: