Search This Blog

Friday, November 21, 2014

Coaching A Masters Degree Student On Failed BHs Revamp Procedures !!!



A golden opportunity to get my effort on revamping of failed BHs documented.

A few weeks ago I was contacted, via email, by a student who wanted to do her Masters.

I wrote to her on some suggestions and I think she is going ahead with those ideas.

I was told yesterday that she has enrolled with the University and luckily her coaching lecturer is my good friend.

My idea was more towards how to repair a failed BH.

Every 10 BHs in Malaysia, I think 8 to 9 failed to produce enough to cover the operating plus the financial cost.

With the current raw nests price per kilo of around 1,600 ringgit, a productive BH must produce at least 3 kilograms a month.

To harvest 3 kilograms a BH must have a total of about 10 kilograms inside.

10 kilograms is equivalent to 120X10 = 1200 nests or 2400 birds.

How many BHs around you have this number?

I doubt that many.

Many of these failed BHs are being abandoned by its owners.

The low price give very little motivation to do anything with it.

Most of them will wait until the price per kilogram move perhaps above 2,500 ringgit per kilogram.

Remember it used to peak up to 7,000 ringgit a kilogram and it went down to 4,000 ringgit.

Now below 2,000 ringgit and those white buildings are abandoned.

Total number of BHs in Malaysia is about 40,000 units (according to the latest report).

If 80% failed to produced 3 kilograms and left abandoned, the amount of asset worth at least 250,000 per unit is idle.

80% of 40,000 is 32,000 units.

Each is worth on the average about 250,000 (excluding cost of land).

We are talking about 32,000 X 250,000 = 8 billion ringgit going to waste.

Many of these abandon BHs are being ransack by burglars who go not only the remnant nests but also all those fitting in the BHs.

The logger these BHs are left unattended they will be housing more predators, nesting planks rots, roof leaking and who know it will become drug addicts den.

Something have to me done and I hope the research work by this Master's student with my helps will be useful to many of these BH owners.

No comments: