Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Should I Spray My BH Walls With Water !!!

(A BH with water spray on the wall using water from a pond.  During hot season there is no water in the pond??)

A very common question from newbies in swiftlet farming.

"Pak Harry can I pump cold water onto my top floor and have this water spray system to wet my BH walls?"

He was hoping to get a yes answer from me but I turned him down.

His brilliant idea was to allow these pumped water to fall like those waterfall you see in the movie.

Once that happened the walls will be cool this nesting rooms will also be cool.

My response to him was something like this.

Okay what happen when your water pump failed to work or electrical supply failed to connect or there is no water in the water well?

This water spray system will fail and will create havoc in your BH.

It might not happen in a year or two but it will happen.

Let us imagine that your BH is with a few hundred nests and very cool inside.

Suddenly your water spray system failed to function on a dry part of the year.

You will have a temperature shock inside your nesting room (once your room temperature hit 33-37*C) and in a very short weeks all your tenants will move out.

Why must you opt for something that will fail to operate one day?

My experience with a BH in Teluk Intan a few years back proof my point of concern.

I was asked to do something to this old BH (6 years into operation, I think).

I went up to take a good look of its surroundings.

When walking around I saw these taps connected to a large piping system.

I asked the BH owner what was all those pipes were all about.

"Pak Harry I used to pup those river water up and sprayed on my BH walls.  It went well for some months however I became very concern will the electricity bill every month.  The cost of pumping those water up to the top floor every month hit almost rm 650."

Well I told him that what he did was a short solution about internal temperature but he was lucky to stop the pumping.

My best experience on cooling a wrongly designed walls construction is still the heat shielding from the inside.

This method after completion will assure you that all your walls stays at 29*C.

If all your walls both on the west and the east will stays at 29*C.

When this temperature is on your walls I can assure you that your BH nesting room will stays the same on maybe lower.

This will be the range that your tenants would love to stay.

So before you start thinking about pumping water to spray on your BH walls please think twice......

No comments: