I finally submitted my visit report to the Ulu Tiram BH owner.
As mentioned in my last posting the one story BH was with one nest after almost 6 years into operation.
Main culprit was the 3rd consultant who reduce the size of the monkey house size and change the main entrance hole location.
I believed those tenants (about 100 birds) were not able to find their way into the BH and decided to move on.
The so called consultant was not very experienced.
If he wanted to relocated the main entrance hole he should have shut the old entrance hole in stages.
Well the damage was done and right now how to get the BH back in action?
From my short visit I told the owner that there are many reasons why he should reactivate the BH.
I wrote a very long report (36 pages) for him to digest and I hope he will follow all those recommendations provided in the report.
These are the positive points about this BH:
1) The BH is located at a very strategic location. If is on a piece of land where there is a huge oil palm plantation towards the east of it. The total acreage is 2000. This BH is below those birds flying back path every evening.
2) There is no other BH that is erected towards the east of it. As such if they should return home they need to pass the land where this BH was erected.
3) The bird call test conducted using "Duress" sound resulted in 500-600 birds circling above the gadget. The number which is above 300 birds is encouraging.
4) Somewhere to the east and the south there are a number of rivers and water reservoirs. Can easily observed via google map.
5) Nearly all swiftlet that came to circle above the bird call gadget were quite large. The tip to tip length exceed 10 inches. This tells me that the food supply in the area is adequate.
6) It used to house more than 50 nests according to the owner. This is already a good sign. 6 Years ago I am sure that the number of birds responded to the duress sound is small.
Based on the above factors I encourage the owner not to give up but do his best to reactivate the BH.
I have listed my recommendations.
I hope he will carry out all the things recommended.