Monday, April 25, 2016
Karak BH: 2.5 Years With 70 Nests !!!
I was on my way home from Ajil when my phone received a message from some new to me.
I responded to his message which led me to view his BH on Thursday April 21st 2016.
I took about 1.25 hours to arrive at his farm.
Well this person who operate a BH is a white from Canada who married with a local and settled in Karak.
His main complain was why suddenly his nests number stop growing.
His 2nd main concern was why are they now nesting on the lower floors.
His BH is about 2.5 years old and so far with about 70 nests.
Nearly 85 % of the nests were on the top most floor.
So my tasks were to look at what were wrong and perhaps find the right solutions.
These list of findings might be interesting to note:
1) The BH dimension was 90'X30'X3 floors. Each floor was with 10' high ceiling.
2) The BH was erected with a top entry hole and not a monkey house or opening on the wall.
3) The number of nests seems to be hovering around 70 nests after 2.5 years into operation.
4) Nearly 60 nests were found on the 3rd floor while the rests were on the two floors below.
5) Recently installed two humidifiers operated twice a day for about 2 hours.
6) There were two hexagonal tweeters at the top entry area.
7) The top entry hole was only about 4 feet wide by 6 feet long.
8) The owner claimed to have revamped his BH by relocating the entrance door location to the top floor. However he was not very sure if the walls and those tweeters were well orientated.
9) The number of internal sound tweeters for the whole house was only about 300 pieces.
10) Nearly all the 70 nests found inside this BH was either on the top of the internal sound tweeters or beside it.
11) There was not a single fake nests inside the BH.
12) All 90* corners were covered with corner covers.
13) The number of ventilation holes using 4" diameter pvc pipe looks like 48 units all with 90*elbows but were not covered with extension pipe.
14) Only two humidifiers were installed on the top floor and according to the BH owner that was also installed recently.
15) The only way down to the lower floor is via 2 LAL holes erected beside the 2 staircases.
16) There were a number of walls erected but little on the lowest floor.
17) The sound system consisted of two amplifiers to play 2 external sounds. Two more for those internal sound rotating 6 hours each.
18) The four amplifiers were not set to optimize the sounds played.
19) I was not happy with the internal sounds used. Not many baby sound in it.
20) Not much to say about the two external sounds.
21) All the floors were not cleaned.
Given the above scenarios I have to come out with action plans to perhaps double the nests population within 8-10 months.
So what do you think I should come out with?