A nicely erected BH but the owner seems to have decided to shut its operation.
I was planning to visit a BH in Gambang Kuantan last week suddenly a call came asking for my help.
"What can I do for you?" I asked.
"Pak Harry I need you to visit my BH just at the back of my house. It was put into operation in July 2012 and have very little birds inside." He answered.
I remember meeting him a couple of times in Kuantan when he was a committee member in a coop board.
The plan was set to take a good look at his BH and it looks very nice from the outside.
A two stories well finished with lots of ventilation holes. The BH was well painted on the outside.
I hope the inside was okay.
The view inside was as expected.
The BH was very small about 25 feet by 15 feet and each floor was about 8 feet in height (floor to ceiling).
The nesting planks were three steps and there were a number of bird shit spots on the ground floor.
After about 40 minutes inside I told the owner about what I think was not right about his BH.
1) The main reason why those birds were not staying on the top most floor was because of its brightness. The entrance area was not covered to block the bright light.
2) There lots on ants on the floor and the ceiling areas. Most of them were on the ground floor. I have a very strong feeling that they are staying in the BH and need to spray some insecticide as soon a s he can.
3) The location of his BH LAL or the opening on the top floor to allow those birds to move the lower floor was a bit small and wrongly located.
4) The external amplifier used was something that I was not happy about. It looks so filmsy and not suitable to run on a 13 hours basis.
5) The hexagonal tweeter was too high and not properly located.
6) I was not happy with the number of external sound tweeters placed in the BH.
7) The number of internal sound tweeters was okay however the three steps nesting panel makes the installation to be very awkward.
8) The nesting planks were barren without any gadget like fake nests to encourage those swiftlet to stay.
9) The grass and bushes around the BH were creeping onto the BH walls and that was not a good signs.
10) Due to no electricity supply I was not able to listen to the type of sounds used in his BH.
11) No partitions or rooms since the BH was too small.
The good news were as follows:
a) There were a number of bird shit spots on the lower floor.
b) Two of the spots seems to show signs of markings.
c) The internal temperature looks okay.
d) The number of ventilation holes seems to be the reason why the BH was not so stiff.
I wrote a three pages report on my observations and recommended a few things that will help to activate his BH.
I hope once he review my recommendations he will carry out the various things to reactivate his 80K BH that came from his EPF fund.
Best of luck to him.
I told him that if he wanted my help to bring my boys to activate his BH I will.