Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Another Incident Of 40% Nests Increase After A BH Being Burglarized !!!

While in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, I received a frantic call from a Vietnamese lady with her husband who were in KL wanting to see me.

I cut short my stay in Sabah and rushed home to make sure the two Vietnamese got what they came for.

"Pak Harry, we would like to meet you and purchase some items for our BH in Vietnam."

Managed to meet them in Kuala Lumpur City centre, somewhere at Komplek Kota Raya KL, and try to make sure that they get what they came for.

It was during the short meeting with them they asked me why their BH nests increased by 40% after a burglar entered their BH.

"Pak Harry my BH was burglarised this year in March.  Before the burglary the number of nests was only 172 but within 2 months the number increased to 242 nests."

"How come the number increased so much?"

From 172 nests to 242 nests, up by 70 nests or 40% increment.

What I told them that there is no logical explanation but I was told that once they loose their nest (plus egg and babies) they will move to another BH.

During that few nights stay they must have make some requests for some kind of help from their neighbours to restart their building of new nests.

The increment is very common and very similar to those BH that went through a "Forced Harvest" exercise.

My advise to them was to consider implementing a kind of force harvest once a year and the best timing would be during the end or early breeding season.

In this way there will be a minimum damage to those young chicks.

After answering all their questions I was happy to see them off back to Vietnam.

They planed to attend my December Swiftlet Farming Seminar and join a tour on Swiftlet BHs Visits.

You can meet them if you enroll in the December 3rd swiftlet farming seminar.

No comments: