Search This Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Sound Level Of Your External and Internal Sounds !!!


Have you ever thought of what will be the best sound level for both your internal and your external sounds??

Not long ago while on my way to Batu Pahat, Johore, I received a frantic phone call from a guy who wanted me to drop by his BH somewhere in Sungai Pasir, Johor.

"Pak Harry, are you in Johore now? If yes I would like you to stop at my BH and check on this weired things that is happening inside my BH. It seem that those birds do enter my BH but they seem to be clustering in only one place and not any other areas? Can you please determine the reasons? Thank you in advance and my brother is currently at the only Petrol Station in Sungai Pasir."

After this small talks on the phone I too became very curious to know exactly what was happening in this BH. A very very weired happening and I must get into the BH and find the logical answers.

To me if I can find the answers I can learn and share with others who will read my blog.

I met his brother and soon was infront of this huge three stories building (30' X 100').

Hmm.... not bad and there were lots of birds flying in and out of the house.

Once the door was opened the caretaker took me in and lead me to the unusual phenomena spot in the BH.

While entering the BH my mind was bombarded with the possible answers but I told myself to first inspect the phenomena and perhaps come out with the most logical answer.

The moment I arrived I realised that it was very true that those birds were clustering in one part of the whole building and never occupied any other spots.

My ear was pretty sharp. I realised something that the owner did not.

It seem that the sound at the preferred spot were loud while the rest of the spots/floors were with no internal sound.

It seem that there was a sound system breakdown a few months back and the owner did not realised it.

I called the caretaker and ask him to confirm my findings and he confirmed my observation.

I managed to call the owner, who was in Kuala Lumpur, and told him the findings. To be certain I asked him to talk to his trust worthy caretaker. He confirmed my findings and the sound breakdown shall be looked into.

The lesson here was that the birds prefer to cluster in an area where the internal sound is the loudest.

This strange phenomena have something to do with their desire to stay at a place that they feel safe and peaceful. It seem that those baby sound made by those internal tweeters were their preferred place to be at.

So if you are smart you can from today uses this new finding to your advantage.

Wire your internal sound tweeters with more then one wire for different zones to allow you to populate your BH in accordance to your preferred choices.

But what level of sound is the best?

So far no one have ever talk about this unique requirement.

If the sound is too low they will move to the highest sound level. However it the sound is too load they will find it too disturbing until they are not able to communicate with each other.

What about the external sound level?

Too loud will actually shoo those birds away and too low the area of coverage is too little thus gives very little effectiveness.

My recent findings about the best sound level to be used are as follows:

Use a sound meter to check the sound level emitted from your tweeters carefully.

The best volume level for your internal sound is 40 decibels.

As for the external sound it should be not more then 80 decibels.

Place the sound meter about 3 meters (9 to 10 feet) away from the tweeter and record the decibel readings.

When you carry out the tests make sure the other sound is off.

I hope this new information are useful and have a good day with your swiftlet farming activities........

Special note: I am not selling the sound recording equipment and those information given are just my findings and you can use them as your guideline. Remember every article that I wrote are from my findings or advise from some good friends. It is up to you to follow or ignore them. You can buy the meter online or go to Jalan Pasar in Pudu to buy your own.

........................................................
My main objective to continue writing this blog on swiftlet farming is to expose everything that are relevant to those who wanted to get involve with the business.

I strongly believed that the only way to minimise failure is to get as much knowledge as possible before you invest in it.

If you feel that the lesson learned deserved an encouragement you can contribute a some donation to this account: Yayasan Kebajikan Nah Sabah, 100930010038410 at Allied Bank, Malaysia.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Harry,

I visit your blog quite often. With due respect, sometimes I am not sure if you know what you are talking about.

In this latest article for example, what is 40 dB? What is 80 dB? Does sound pressure level or loudness increase by a square power related to the distance? It is just basic science, definitely not rocket science.

Please don't simply quote figures because many people can me misled!

Just because you have a meter, do you really know how to use it?

I hope you will take my comments sportingly. Don't let commercial interest overwhelm your good intentions.

Other than that,keep on writing.

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

Waletandy,

Thank you for your comment.
Please try to be positive towards all these findings.
So far there are no reference place for us to use as our guidelines.
You might be right about the square power physics but to an ordinary man on the streets they are difficult to digest.
I am not asking anybody to buy things from me. The sound meter gadget can be easily be found on the web. Or else go to Jalan Pasar and buy one.
I have no intention of misleading those people.
I am more towards leading them to the right ways of running a BH.
Right not my meter is for my own use and I don't have any to sell.