Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

A New BH That Will Have Problem In Siburan Sarawak !!!


Yesterday I was in Kuching Sarawak.

I was on my way home to Kuala Lumpur but decided to stop over in Kuching just to meet some friends before rushing home.

My first friend was this old student who attended one of my Swiftlet farming seminars long ago.

He pick me up at the airport and why driving towards Kuching town he explained his unsuccessful dealings with a number of Government Department to ask them to participate in my March 2013 Swiftlet Farming Seminar in Kuching.

"Pak Harry I spend more than one week running from one department to another like being kick around and no body wanted to help me to join our scheduled seminar in Kuching." he affirmed.

I was pretty disappointed however I told him that there must be some other easier method to rope someone that I know to help in our noble intention.

"Don't give up and I think there is some one who will have breakfast with us tomorrow who could be our saviour." I try to calm him down.

The second person met me the next morning for my fist breakfast at my hotel.

His name was Mr Bong number one.  He claimed to operate 7 BHs and wanted to collect the "Super Pheromone" from me.

I told him that I managed to bring a canister and lucky not to be detected by the airport authorities.

After wrapping out my discussion with him I was picked up by a friend who took me to a Sarawak Laksa at a shop facing the Grand Continental Hotel.

We later proceed to inspect a BH under construction in Siburan.

"Pak Harry this BH belong to my Church Pastor.  The wall materials were specially imported from mainland China." he wanted to stress of this special technology that might be good for the local swiftlet industry.

I took a good look at the imported materials and confess to him there was nothing special about it.

I remember visited a small makeshift factory in Papar Sabah that manufactured the same method of wall materials.  However the local made uses 6 inches thick styrofoam materials and sandwiched in between those cement boards.

The China made wall material was using 4 inches styrofoam and sandwich in between those magnesium oxide boards laced with some kind of fibre glass mats.

The next thing that we did was to inspect the BH inside.

This was where I discovered some interesting new things but there were many gross mistakes that I strongly told my friend to avoid from being repeated.  My friend wanted to use the same building material to build one BH for himself.

The monkey house design was not right, I told him.

I showed him what was wrong and what kind of correction to be done.

My main concern was the floor of the monkey hole area was not flushed.

The LAL was too small and difficult to find by those birds.

The two entrance holes were also too small and not properly positioned.

The nesting planks were wrongly orientated.

There were no rooms (VIP room) on both floors.

The total length should have been extended by one more column to make the nesting room darker.

The ground floor area should have been designed as such that once the two floors upstairs are fully occupied you should be able to expand downstairs.

If he wanted to use the same technology try not to engage the building materials producer to be your BH designer.

Let the producer specialized in his production works and have some one else to design the BH for you.  You cannot afford making mistakes.

Mistakes will be costly.

Have a look at these pictures taken.

The cost of this BH was about RM 180,000

Remember try to get the design right.  Even the new technology wall material works but your BH design must be proper.

My final words to him was to take note those mistakes and if not corrected this BH will have zero nest for a few good years.



















No comments: