Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2013

Inspected Two BHs 250 Kilometres Apart !!!

Today inspected two BHs and the two units were about 250 kilometres apart.

All in all because my of my love to his field call "swiftlet farming".

My plan today was to make a day trip to Dengkil, Selangor to attend a request by one of my student who attended my seminar conducted at Shah Alam.

"Pak Harry I need you help to check what is wrong with my BH in Dengkil.  It was put into operation about 8 months and it seems that those birds stayed but they are not making any nest."

I told him of my plan for today however this morning read an email from one more newbie from Taiping Perak who sprang a surprise wanting my service to view his problematic BH.

"Pak Harry after six months into operation there was nothing.  Not a single bird shit spot on the floor. Please help me quick."

I took the trouble to call him and told him of my plan to drive down to Dengkil and will be passing Taiping.

He was so delighted and waited for me for 1 1/2 hours before I landed in Taiping.

I told him that I do not have much time but willing to take a look at his problematic BH.

Followed his car and reached his BH within less than 5 minutes drive from the centre of Taiping Town.

Took a good look at the BH and found the usual phenomena.

The BH was too bright and the entrance hole seems to be very poorly designed.

A couple of trees need to be taken down or trimmed to allow an easy access to those wild birds.

After about 1 hour with him I told him that he need to re look into the main entrance hole position and all partitions to be relocated.

"Mr O, I do not wish to make bad remarks about the so called consultant of your BH.  I think his knowledge about swiftlet is very shallow and not ready to be a good consultant."

The top floor was so bright that if you stand at the furthest wall you can still see the other wall which is about 50 feet away.

I reminded him about the rule of the thumb.  The right lighting is when you stand about 2 feet apart you cannot see each other's face.

He nodded and agree with my explanations and supporting reasons.

All his BH ventilation holes were not properly covered.  The consultant have this feeling that those birds do need those light when they fly inside.

After having a light lunch with him I promised to submit my visit report and if he wanted my personal attention to let me know.

Left Taiping at about 12 noon and proceeded to Shah Alam, Selangor to meet the second BH owner.

After 3 hours drive I managed to call him meet me at 3.30 pm. He was there five minutes before I arrived.

Took a cup of chendol and we proceed to his farm using his new car.

We took about 30 minutes to reach Dengkil.

Due to the very rough terrain we change car to a 4X4 wheel drive.

The moment I entered his BH I told him that his main entrance hole is facing the West.

Those bird shit signs on the floor told me so.

All those fresh bird shit spots were only found near the main entrance hole areas.

I took out my iPhone and show him the compass apps confirming my prediction.

"Mr M, these birds needs to fly out as early as they can every morning to search for food.  If your entrance hole faces the west they will not stay far from the entrance hole.  The morning light will be from the East and I think you need to open a new hole facing the East."

He was a bit puzzled in the beginning but after my detail explanation he honoured my description.

There were a few other things that I discovered but the second point of interest was the BH LALs positions.

They were in the middle part of the top and second floor.

"If you wanted those wild birds to build their nest on the lower level you need to guide them to fly above the LAL".

It was a very tiring but exciting day in my life and I am enjoying every minute helping these poor guys who were wrongly advised by their so call consultant.



No comments: