Search This Blog

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Very Crucial: Positioning Of External Sound Tweeters !!!

I just arrived from Jerantut, Pahang after a visit to a newly build BH on an Agricultural land on the outskirt of Jerantut town.

Last week was contacted by a newbie who can no longer see the sadness on his father's face when his 300K newly build BH was not having any birds inside.

Though the house was recently put into operation mode, they sense something funny when there were  so many birds visiting the entrance area but the number of bird shit spots inside their BH were just too little.

I was asked to drive down to Jerantut and make my observation and provide solutions.

Well, since I happened to be free,I accepted the offer but first I need to drive more then 2.3 hours from KL.

As usual the things that I discovered were nothing new:

1) It was very clear that the contractor or consultant who erected the BH was in a rush to complete, put it in operation and then never turn up to fine tuned the BH.

2) The building structures were well done but his knowledge on the precise positioning of  the hexagonal, external and internal  tweeters were not seen. This is what I told the owner, not many contractors can be giid in everything.  If they are good in construction they might have difficulties to understand how to fix those sound system.

3) Due to  a rushing job and with very little knowledge on those precious swiftlet characteristics, the consultant place those tweeters, especially external sound, wrongly.

4) The BH was bare with only those basic equipment.  Something like wearing just a pair of stocking and underwear but no shirt and pants.

5) No external sound tweeters inside the BH except at the LAL. This was the main cause why those birds refuse to enter the BH.

6) There number of internal sound tweeters are normal but he tend to be happy with those cluster tweeters.

7) All those 90* corners were covered with corner covers.

8) No fake nests being installed on any nesting planks in the BH.

9) The BH was not masked with enough ammonia gas (bird shit smell).  The cement smell was too strong.

10) The LAL positioning on the higher floor to the 1st floor was too far from the entrance door from the roving to the nesting room.  The sizable gap allows those birds to jump Que and not flying above the LAL.

11) The contractor opted for a ziz-zaz  LAL positioning pattern.  To me this design is not suitable and difficult to populate the lowest floor. Better to go straight at a 45* angle from top to the bottom floor.

12) There were a few half partitioning structures on each floor however the reasons for constructing the partitioning were no meaning.

13)  The contractor installed a few chicken coop humidifiers and the power source to activate all the humidifiers was via a humidity controller.  I was surprised that the setting was not proper and the plug used was on the wrong point.

14) The amplifiers used was not properly chosen.  The volume knob to control the left and right volume level was on the "Balance" mode.

15) The contractor have very little knowledge on the BH sound engineering.  He got this notion that the external should be played, internally, for 24 hours. As such he installed two amplifiers to fit his believes.

16) The temperature sensor shows a maximum temp reading of 34*C.  This was very disturbing.  I took it as if he must have carried the temperature hygrometer outside and forgot to reset.

17) There was only one external sound to be played daily and no other sounds were provided to the owner to substituted if they become in effective.

The above are nothing unusual.  I would say that nearly all failed BHs shows exactly similar characteristics.

If you have something similar to the above, I would say that you will soon have to get Pak Harry to come over to reconfirm the exact similar situation.

After visiting, a good mother's day dinner and the next morning roti chanai breakfast, I quickly wrote a report , about 10 pages, to the owner.

Beside the above, I the following interesting events that I would like to share with all my blog reader:

1) There was a stand alone BH about 500 feet away from the visited BH that plays "Duress" sound everyday.

2) I managed to view a very successful BH in Jerantut.  Took some video clips.  The number of birds rushing into this BH was very interesting.

3) While conducting the sound tests, another BH owner just a fence away, walked up and greet me.  Are you Pak Harry?  Yes I told him.  He confessed that he reads my blog everyday.  Pak Harry Can I purchase the "Baby King" from you.  I got many birds inside but they refuse to build their nests.

I hope the above write up gives you interesting things to learn.

I am very happy to be of service to the two BH owners.  I will be submitting a full report tonight.

If you wish to read this report, you can.  Just donate RM50 to a nominate account the report is yours.

1 comment:

Azri KB said...

Salam Pak Harry,

I am very interested to read your full report about this subject. Which account no. should I donate? Please revert.

Thanks,

Azri KB