Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

An Exciting Trip To KK and Sandakan, Sabah !!!

Came back from Sandakan, Sabah, this morning and decided to write some interesting stories about what really happened during my trip.

I can say that the trip was more then just helping a BH owner with his newly build BH.

Within the four days away, I managed to meet not less then 20 new BH owners plus some newbies who were about to start their project.

In KK alone there were about 15 people who happened to call and ask my help to meet them and some even took me to their intended site for their dream BH.

The most exciting was what happened while with my sponsor. I called hin Mr G.

Mr G met me during one of those seminars I conducted in KK.  At that time he already owned a small BH where he converted one of his weekend house into a BH.

Initially the half wood and half cement BH was doing okay but due to improper advise from his "Sifu" the number of tenants went down badly.

After removing those wet nesting plank maker his BH was back to normal but still with some problems here and there.

During his first meeting with me he bought a number of books and sounds.  From there he kind of DIY the BH and at one time carried out a "Forced Harvest".  After three months the number of nests climbed to 100.

The experiences he went through gave him the confident to start a new BH somewhere in Sugud, Penampang.

This time around his new BH is no longer half bricks and half wood.  It is more like a castle with about 25 feet wide and 70 feet long and three stories high.  On the roof top he pushed the zinc roof to a high where he can hold those barbecue party if he wished to.

To ensure that he got the right equipment and advise, he got his family to be involved as a team.  His idea was to make one his daughter to play a major role in arranging to get "Pak Harry" to be involved in getting the right equipment and ensure that the house is properly installed with those nesting planks and sound system.

After assembling about 42 boxes of items to KK I was asked to make a trip to the land of swiftlet opportunities to do the final inspection and set those amplifiers.

Perfect, the BH was as per my list of instructions.  It seem that his worker did exactly like what I wanted them to carry out.

The only new thing that I introduced, during the visit, was those insect barn.

The moment this new idea was introduced to him, he got his workers to work immediately on the idea.

He seems to like the idea of creating food for those wild birds.

Please see the various pictures taken during the visit.

After the main objective, I was asked to give some views on his 1st BH.  This one year plus BH was once a resort home.  Located in a Durian orchard somewhere near to Papar, Sabah town.

At first I was not convinced that the house turned into BH can do well but I was wrong.

Upon inspection I listed a few things that should be done to multiply the nest numbers.  The most critical was the use of a more effective sounds, play the most effective sound during peak hours, change the internal sound to "superbabyking", reinstall those hexagonal tweeters in the middle of the entrance hole 1.5 feet above the roof, reorganized those external sound tweeters at the entrance hole and the LAL, add as many internal sound tweeters as possible, focus on those rooms that shows a good number of birds, add some additional crossings and wet the floor.

One important lesson that we learned during this short visit was the effect of sound volume towards those swiftlet.

I will be writing something which you might learn something in my next posting.

















No comments: