Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

For The Love Of Swiftlet Farming !!!


I was given a chance to meet up with a study group from Sabah who was given the task to prepare Sabah Swiftlet Farming Guidelines in Setiawan, Perak.

Before making my trip I came up with an 8 pages write up to pass to the team leader.

Started my journey about 10:30am from Kuala Lumpur and by 1:00pm I was ready to meet them.

Mr Ling of Manjung Swiftlet Farming Association Secretary was showing them around and I was honored to meet them for a cup of coffee at one of the nice restorant in town.

I was introduced to the three from Sabah plus Mr Ling and his assistant.

During the 45 minutes meeting I was asked with a few questions and what I did was to pass those documents that I prepared for them.

The group, plus another two more, was given the task to prepare the Sabah State swiftlet farming guidelines and it will be a great challenge to prepare some thing that they were not familiar with.

I was make to understand that there was two more groups, consisting of three person each, were in Penang and Trengganu to learn as much as they could to draw up the guidelines.

My small task was to put forward my opinions on what the state should try to come out with.

If they wanted to push the Swiftlet Industry in Sabah they should introduce guidelines that are business friendly with a specific target. If I were them they should look at something like 1 billion ringgit worth of raw nests by year 2020 from Sabah.

However if they wish to kill the industry they can lay down all those rules that will make those farmers suffocated with "this is a cannot and that is a cannot". If you do this we will penalized you with this summon and that summon.

The guideline should not be done for the sake of those Politicians but for the sake of making Sabah the top notch state that one day will become the number one swiftlet nests producer in Malaysia.

The guideline should help to promote the farming to all investors, local and foreign,  to come into the state and invest in it.

The guideline should also help the locals to be involved so that they will also enjoy the "Gift From God" business in the state.

The guideline should work hand in hand with the swiftlet farmers associations so that all members are guided in the right direction.

The state should look into collecting data the current BHs in the state plus monitoring their progress.

New areas that are still potential to swiftlet farming in the state should be identified and earmark for the sake of promoting the industry.

Swiftlet Eco Park should be encourage however they should comply to some serious guidelines so that they are properly design taking into consideration of it surroundings and things that will improve the nests population.

Farming in town areas should not be encouraged however those that have already build their BHs should be unfairly treated.  They should be properly guided and if possible get them to be informed of any rules that will help in minimizing disturbances to their neighbors.

The state should look into creating a new banking facilities for all those who are qualified.  If you wish to be a major producer, let say 1 billion by year 2020, an equal amount of fund, in the form of loan, should be provided to help the industry.

After my 45 minutes discussion with them I make my way home to dinner with my wife who happened to have her birthday on the same day.

I wish them the best and I hope those inputs provided will help them to come out with a more industry friendly to propel swiftlet industry in Sabah.

No comments: