Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Kpg Kelulut BH: I Was Speechless When I Entered This BH !!!

During my visit Monday visit to Marang Trengganu I took a gamble to view this DIY BH.

The owner claimed that he read about 10 plus books on swiftlet farming.

He was hoping that all those things that he learn were enough to make him a good BH builder and owner.

Well he did put up the BH up but he now realized that it was not as easy as what was told in all those books.

Nothing seems to work and he cannot understand why.

"I have applied nearly all the things that I read but those birds seems to ignore my BH" he complained.

I don't blame him since I was one of them who wanted to follow some ideas from those books and blogs.

All that were found in those books are not enough to handle this specialized business.

What he needed is experiences.  Yes a lot of experiences plus very close observations.

I took more than 10 years to discover the secrets and I do know what is wrong with this particular Kampung Kelulut BH.

Very recently, about four days before I arrived the top floor experienced flooding.

The water seeps into the floor (cracks I think) and started to wet the nesting planks below it.

Almost 30-40 % were affected.

I was speechless and shook my head a number of time.

Simply a big challenge to step into a BH and with this so called disaster struck just before you arrived.

After viewing his BH I sat down with the owner and told him to quickly do something to dry up all those water drips and those wet nesting planks.

There is a very slim hope to selvage the BH if all those planks starts to be filled with fungus, I told him.

The BH was erected with a single layered walls.  This is not a good choice.

The external sound was not adequate on the outside and the inside.

The monkey house tunnel was left opened with not partition walls to block those bright lights.

He recently erected a wall after attending my talk in Kuala Trengganu and I guess he was trying his best.

His internal sound was not running on 24/7.  One of his amplifier " rosak" and now waiting to collect from the repair shop.

This is a very big mistake among the many errors.

For a new BH or lowly populated BH those internal sound once stop will make those new birds to quickly vacate the BH.

The ventilation holes were with two cover caps.  One outside and one inside.  I don't think the inside is necessary to be capped.

So with so many errors, I still need to get the best recommendation what can be done to bring back those birds.

Already 3-4 years with only 2 nests.  One was half shape (at a 90* corner cover) and the other in a fake nest.




No comments: