Saturday, April 4, 2015
Use Those Fake Nests As Your Bait !!!
During the last few days I have been bombarded with questions about fake nests.
Usually the question posted have something to do on why these fake nests are so important to a BH.
"Pak Harry what is so special about fake nests?
How many should I installed?
When shall I remove them?"
Consider these points:
1) Installing fake nests is similar to putting a bait at your fishing hook when you go for fishing. If there is no bait your chances of hooking a fish is slim. I know if you go and fish in the sea you still can fetch fish even without any bait just the hook. But that is rare, slow and sometime almost impossible.
2) The main function of these fake nests is to actually provide a kind of house platform to build a house on it. The young couple who have entered your new BH are with no previous experiences in nest building. Having found the fake nest will greatly assist them to quickly build a nest.
3) One key reason why I always recommend to install as many fake nests as possible is the rate of success of trapping any new couple that entered your BH. Every new couple that entered your BH is a kind of possible new tenant. The chances of them to stay and become your tenant is about 50:50 chances. By introducing the fake nests your chance is more like 51:49. You increase your chance by at least one additional point. This is more like you have a higher chances.
4) One very strong reason why the new couple will quickly accept your BH have something to do with their mating cycle. For a new couple with no ready nest for the female bird to lay her egg the mating cycle have to start with the male erecting a nest for her. She will not allow the male to copulate unless he have erected a semi ready nest. He need to quickly erect a nest (semi at least) before getting into a love making move.
5) He is new and never erect a nest before but his desire to copulate is high. His saliva gland must have just matured and might start to produce those nest making saliva for the first time. The amount of saliva must be little but manageable. So he have to think carefully where is the best place that he can erect a nest with the least amount of building materials (saliva).
6) When he bumped onto a fake nest or perhaps a 90* corner he knows by instinct that this will be the most appropriate and the best place to accommodate his needs. The fake nest or the 90* corners will allow him to use little saliva and ready very fast.
7) So he will quickly start his nest building for the sake of getting clearance to start his mating ritual. The fake nest will be the most appropriate since it provide a platform for the male to easily start the nest construction. The base is solid and he only need to spit some saliva to erect the site walls. As long as the construction is able to prevent his spouse eggs from falling that will be acceptable.
8) The time he required to make his nest ready or accepted by his spouse is less than a week. He know that if he erect a nest on the flat surface area he will take at least 3-4 weeks and he ain got that length of time to wait. His sex desire is burning.
9) He will ask his spouse to check the nest off and on. Every time the spouse checked the newly erected nests he keep praying that she will accept the nest. He knows that only if she accepted it she will make a love call to allow him to start mating.
10) The first two times might not be right but after three to four times there is a higher chances that she will accept the nest he erected.
11) Once she inspected and accept the nest she will move next to the nests and will start making a love call sound. That is when the real love making will start and they will make love day in and day out until she laid her first egg. Usually the mating orgy will last for about 8 days.
12) Yeh once the sperm penetrate the egg it will take about 8 days to be fully matured.
13) The sex orgy will stop immediately when the first egg is laid.
14) She will lay her second egg on the 9th or 10th day. Then the process of incubating will takes place. About 18-22 days later the two eggs will be hatched.
Well my description above might be a bit too long winded but the facts remain clear.
The fake nest is useful to our BH especially to attract those new couples that entered our BH.
These fake nests help to trap them to be your tenant.
Remember the moment they laid their first egg inside your BH you can be rest assured that they will be long term or permanent tenant.
This is why I keep reminding all BH owner to install as many fake nests as you can.
Let the new couple use the fake nest installed for at lest 2-3 breeding cycles.
Once they have completed the 2-3 cycles remove the fake nests.