Friday, June 5, 2015
ASPA Cottage BH: The Owner Need Some Urgent Help !!!
Remember above this BH that was erected using some kind of structural steel and lined with those magnesium boards.
Many months ago I was given the privilege to inspect the BH and provided some recommendations to the owner.
Immediately after he followed my recommendations those birds started to populate it.
However after some complains from one neighbor the owner minimized its external sound to almost zero decibel.
This eroded the increase in nests number.
I also discovered some shortcomings that should be quickly attended.
The owner requested my opinion on how to:
1) Maximize the utilization of his BH nesting planks inside the roving area.
2) One part of the BH seems to have very little nests and he wanted to pull more birds inside.
I took some time to evaluate his BH conditions and managed to recommend the followings:
1) He might be able to increase the nesting planks usage by reducing the size of its roving room. Currently the roving room, a very bright area, takes almost 1/3 of the whole nesting areas. He might want to reduce its size to about half the current dimension.
2) The best way to move more birds into the affected room is by widening the entrance door and perhaps increase the external and internal sound volume. He need to use his sound system to provide this solution.
3) I was very concerned about the missing young birds. I suspect that many of those young birds once they flew away never return home. There was very little signs of fresh bird shit on the floor. I recommended some solution which I hope that he will accept.
4) The CCTV system was totally a disaster. The supplier did not supply the right camera that can capture night vision. He need to change to a new set.
5) The current method of running the external sound at nearly zero decibel is not healthy and difficult to attract the attention of those birds. He need to be smart in order to at least increase the volume to about 40 decibels in the evening (7:15 pm until 7:45 pm). As long as the sound is within the specified volume he should not be too concern with his idiotic neighbor.
I am not very pleased with the number of nests inside this BH.
What I concluded is that the owner is too considerate and scared of his neighbor.
The BH is getting very dry and need some wetness inside.
There is no objective set to improve the BH.
What a shame and sorry for him.