May 31st 2015, entered a BH that was sinking and its ground floor flooded.
I was asked to have a look at this BH located on a piece of land facing a huge padi field somewhere at Sungai Burung, Tanjung Karang, Kuala Selangor.
The owner/person incharged keep saying that the BH is sinking and he was planning to get Ikram to inspect the building. (Ikram is a private company who carry out geological survey problem and they indicated the cost that they will charge is RM 40,000, Just the inspection cost alone.)
However due to its heavy cost he called me up and wanted my frank opinion.
He also claimed that the BH have some kind of a "Ghost" that are not helping the BH operation. The ghost story was told to him by his previous "Consultant".
I told him not to be easily carried away with those stories. Just because he (the consultant) cannot populate the BH he started to blame at things that we cannot see.
After almost 4 years the number of nests was about 10 pieces. 5 on the upper floor and 5 on the lower floor.
This 2 stories BH about 20' wide X 50' long was heavily flooded especially its data room.
The water was about 1 foot deep.
I took some time to have a look at the BH and told the owner that the BH do have a great potential if he know what to do.
The location was perfect however the internal condition was not proper.
The nesting planks installed looks good and new however the nesting rooms were too bright.
These were my recommendations:
1) The BH can be reactivated and its location is perfect. There were many birds flying around the area during the visit.
2) The BH badly in need of a hexagonal tweeter on its monkey house structure.
3) The current main entrance hole need to be properly done and widen.
4) The number of external sound tweeters installed at the main entrance hole need some improvements.
5) The sound system seems to totally dead and not functioning. We need to upgrade the whole system.
6) The electrical power fuse box need some kind of auto starter.
7) The two floors need some kind of proper partition walls to block those bright lights.
8) The corner covers that are facing the flying in path need some removal.
9) The number of internal sound tweeters need to be upgraded.
10) Some bait to lure those wild birds to quickly adopt the BH have to be installed.
11) This BH if a proper external sound is used will easily lure those wild birds.
I told the owner to replace the sides walk path with a brand new cement. This will make the BH as if it is not sinking.
No need to spend 40K to call Ikram to carry out the inspection.
Have a good look at some pictures taken inside and outside: