Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Belara BH: Full of Traps and Baits !!!



The Belara BH will be handed over, officially, to the owner this Tuesday June 30th 2015.

I plan to fly in via Subang old airport using firefly air at 7:35 am and expect to be at Kuala Trengganu by 8:35 am.

The owner will be at the location by 3:00 pm.

I will be at site once landed to do some final touches especially on the installation of a set of autogate for vampire bats protection.

A new hole for morning light need to be installed with wire mesh screen.

However let me give you some idea on how I think this BH will be a hit with those wild birds.

Based on the harvesting records the number of nests removed so far hit almost 20 kg, in total.

The exact number of nests in the BH was never monitored, but the person in charged indicated that the last count was about 837 pieces.

One very interesting point of interest was the number of corner nests harvested.

The percentage of corner shaped nests was found to be 70%.

This BH was with no corner covers installed.

Every harvesting operation the nests were removed and nothing was done to reduce the number of corner nests.

This have to be changed it the owner wanted to get more 180* nests shape.

The way to go is to discourage the same couple to move to the side and erect their new nest on the straight planks.

What was introduced so far was the use of those plastic chains.

The other method, slightly more expensive, is to cover the used corners with stainless steel plates.

If during every harvesting operation this additional job is carried out I am sure in no time the corner nests percentage will drop.

However for this Belara BH, I introduced more 90* corner due to the installation of cross woods.

Every intersection there will be  4 new corners.

These will be new corners and I am sure those new couples will love to grab the new property.

I installed about 900 feet of additional nesting planks just for cross woods.

With this installation I estimated that the total new 90* corners was around 1800 new corners.

All these new corners were provided with a triangular fake nest.

Yes I created the highly sort for property with bed.

Main reason is to make every new couple to adopt this new house once they entered and stay for one night.

Once they entered and found this new property laced with super pheromone 3X liquid, they will be stuck there for the rest of their life.

These fake nests will be on a temporary basis and once occupied they shall be removed and installed with either the plates or the plastic chains.

I hope within 12 months or so all these 90* corners will be taken up.

When that happen I am very sure the nests numbers will triple.

Let us hope for the best.

If my prediction is right we will have something to learn from this new experience.

I will let you all know from time to time.

My task now is to get the owner to sign the maintenance agreement.

















No comments: