Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

After 16 Months I have 400 Birds and 130 Nests, Am I Successful?


Mr Tay of Sabah asked this interesting question sometime back:

Hi,

I am Tay from Sabah,
My birdhouse (2-stories) wooden,
about 2000sq.ft per floor,
started on march 2006..now oct 2007..
presently have about 400 birds,130 nest,

I have harvested about 1 kilo so far.

Can this project be termed successful?
or just average only?


A very demanding question I wud say.

He takes only 17 months to house 400 birds and he have 130 nest. On the top of that he have already harvested 1 kilo. I assume 120 nests being harvested.

My answer wud be Yes you are the lucky one and the number is very encouranging.

What I wud like to comment is that he is having a wooden house. Most people are talking about building their birdhouse made of bricks and cement. This will cost much higher then a wooden made.

As compaired to cement birdhouse, wooden birdhouse are quicker to be built and easier to manage.

However a wooden house might be seceptable to termites and of course easier for buglars to break in.

I think if U built them on your own piece of land where U can keep a close eyes on it, it will be okay.

The key question is get as many birds as possible into the house and make sure they built those white gold for U.

LATEST FROM TAY:

Hi,Harry.

Thanks for your comments.
I am Tay who posted the question.
The reason the bird house was built of timber is that I renovated from an Old Unused house.
Two set-back for a Timber Bird Hse.One..termites problem.
Two..heat from zinc roof.
Well I manage to overcome them.
Well as of this week, this Hse has more than 520 birds & about 220 nest.
One thing I learn..if one want to increase Birds population,...stop harvesting until you have the population you want.
Regards,
TayGS.


Thank U very mcuh Mr Tay for your kind information on the birdhouse of yours.

You are doing well friend.

3 comments:

TayGuanSong said...

Hi,Harry.thanks for your comments.I am Tay who posted the question.
The reason the bird house was built of timber is that I renovated from an Old unsed house.Two set-back for a Timber Bird Hse.One..termites problem.Two..heat from zinc roof.
well manage to overcome them.Well as of this week, this Hse has more than 520 birds & about 220 nest.One thing I learn..if one want to increase Birds population,...stop harvesting until you have the population you want.Regards, TayGS.

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

Tay,

Thank U for your latest update of the birdhouse of yours. U are doing very fined since the birds number now is increasing steadily. Congratulation !!!

Loo Thiam Khen 呂添根 said...

Somebody using one storey terraced house for "Swiftlet's House".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZzNpISJ9AQ