Search This Blog

Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Birds Tend to Lay Their Eggs Just After The Babies Flew Away !!!

This is proven and mentioned in many books that I have read.

Main reason being they lived to breed. That is once they are matured they must breed in order to multiply their family. Or else, their species will be eliminated.

So once they are no longer looking after their babies, they will lay a new batch of eggs, usually two.

In doing so they recycle their old nest. More often they will rebuilt the nest that they used before with some new layers of saliva strips.

So what happenned if you do not harvest your birdhouse nest on time?

Yes they will lay eggs and recyled. So U loose a chance to harvest a nest.

What I did is to put a kind of marking, like colored stickers.

This ideas was recommended by Mr Goh in SMC forum.

U choose at least three colors. Say white, for a new nest, green, for the nest with eggs and red, for those with babies.

During every visit to the farm U can now know which nests are ready to be harvested and those that are new and those that have their eggs hatched. U relabel once U are sure that those to be harvested are taken care of.

U can harvest those that are with red labels, but now with new eggs. Just harvest them and see what happenned.

I can guarantee U that your wild swiftlet will rebuilt a new nest on the same spot within a few weeks.

So make sure U do the color markings it will help U in the long run and keep the swiftlet population increasing all the way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Harry,

After going through your Blog and re-read NGV, I feel proud of you.

Simply put, I like people who do their job with passion. That explains the quality of your writings.

May success and good health be with you & family always.

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

Andy,

I truely love this birdnest business and the fact is that I shud have known more before I started. This is the main reason why I started the blog plus those things in the Forums ( NGV and SMC). I hope U will alway be a friend who apreciate all the good things that I am doing.