Search This Blog

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Another Newly Completed BH Waiting For My Sound System !!!


It took me almost 5 hours (total number of hours) to reach this new BH located somewhere near Dungun Trengganu.

The owner was from Peninsular but currently working in Miri Sarawak.

"Pak Harry can you advise me with the sound system for my new BH in Dungun, two stories and just installed with a solar system."

I was a bit disturbed with the total distance to cover just to reach the BH.

"Very far Mr Z and let me think about it." I replied reluctantly rejecting the offer.

He continued calling and since I was a bit free I accepted his offer.

After some confirmation on what he wanted I told him that I will deliver some of the gadgets and will check the BH status.

Yesterday I drove up and finally managed to enter the new BH.

The BH was nice.  A two stories building with a monkey house entrance.

I can see that the entrance hole was facing the canopy of those palm oil trees.  This BH was a bit on a hill slope and in a large palm oil plantation.

I was not very sure how many birds responded when a bird call test was conducted.

Maybe he did not even conduct the test?

These are my observations made and if you learn something from it please learn from it.


1) The BH looks okay from the outside.  It was 20 feet wide by 60 feet long and about 20 feet high.  The BH was covered with asbestos roof sheet and extended by about 3 feet to the side.

2) The entrance hole seems to be done as if there was something wrong with the lighting inside.  The light entering must be making the rooms to be so bright and the contractor was trying to re patch the hole with red bricks.

3) The entrance hole, to me, was a bit too small in size and not properly located.  I believed a new BH the entrance hole must be at least 3 feet wide by 4 feet high.  Those birds are scared to enter your BH when it is pretty new.  To pull them in I sincerely believed it should be big but once they are used to the BH you can shut it to a smaller size say 2.5 feet wide by 3 feet high.

4) There were at least two of the ventilation holes that were not covered with those netting or plastic where air can flow.  These two holes will be ideal to attract other birds to start building their nests inside the ventilation holes.

5) There was no five foot walkways.  I think the walk ways will do good to help keeping those ants from entering.  If you regularly spray the joint areas with fendona those ants will keep away from your building.  The other important point will be the water from the roof will not cause any area to be eroded.  The cement will help to prevent rain water from eroding the clay around the house.

6) Internally my main focus was on the monkey house area.  The light was very bright and affecting the nesting rooms.  The owner have very little idea on what to do and his method was to close the entrance hole to a smaller in size.  Yes you can do that but have you think about your tenant that is scared to enter small holes?

7) The nesting rooms were too bright not because of anything but they were not blocked with any partitions.  Each floor needs at least two partitions with suitable sized doors to allow those birds to come in and stays.  Main partition is to block the light just after the monkey hole tunnel while the other partition is to create those VIP room at the back of the nesting room.

8) The nesting planks have some common mistakes.  First they are not cleaned and second the crossing were not straight.  It was about 2 inches out of line.  Reason being the workers wanted space to nail the end of the planks.

9) The two ventilation holes without those cover shows lots of twigs on the floor below them.  These two holes seems to already have a permanent tenants.  If they are not shut they will be soon with properly formed nests and eggs.

10) Ventilation pipes were without any extension.  The light from these pipes needs to be dim.  The best is to install about 1.5 feet of pipe.



These are my observations and I hope after my sound system plus those walls to be erected are done it will be okay.



















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NBU is internal or external sound?