Search This Blog

Friday, December 6, 2013

Fungus Issue In Karangan,Kulim BH!!!


(Badly affected nesting planks)

Sorry for not writing any new article for the past few days.

To those who called asking for my reasons please be inform that due to the death of my father in law I stop writing to be with my wife family during the one week funeral.

 Okay let start the day about fungus problem found inside Kulim BH:


Among the many issues found inside this BH located in Karangan Kulim was those thick fungus attack on nesting planks.

These affected planks if not remove or treated will cause the BH to be less preferred by those swiftlet.

Those thick fungus will usually attack more planks and cases the BH to be filled with spores (dust).

My first task was to remove and replace the affected planks with new wood.

Those that can be cleaned or treated were taken care of.

I took about four days to locate a suitable nesting planks supplier and finally found a sawmill at Bakar Arang Industrial Estate, Sungai Patani, Kedah.

The price per foot was a bit on the high side but I was very satisfied with the planks quality.

I bought about 1200 feet long of the planks and my boys managed to install all of it during the revamp operation.

Those affected nesting planks that were not very serious were cleaned using Tanali vinegar mixed with plain water.

The method used was to apply a layer of the Tanali onto the affected areas and brush the part with hard wire brush.

Once completed another layer of the Tanali was applied on those spot.

So far the treated areas looks cleaned and the wood surface transformed to its original looks.

The BH owner on a few occasions could not recognized those planks that were cleaned with Tanali vinegar.

The BH now looks much cleaner and hopefully those fungus will stay away from this BH.

I also sprayed the BH floor and walls with Tanali vinegar mixed with water.

The whole house was having a very thick smell due to those fermented pineapple insect breeding slurries.

My main purpose is to perhaps kill those spores from flying around and landed on those planks.

The BH humidity especially on the lowest floor was a bit on the high side and I recommended the use of exhaust fan to stabilize it.

No comments: