Search This Blog

Monday, December 9, 2013

Something That I Wanted To Share About Running External Sound on 24 Hrs !!!


(The largest chandelier tweeters ever seen)

I wrote this special article about the effects of running external sound on a 24 hours basis recently.

So far three readers wrote to me about their experiences.

The three stories were one from Vietnam, Pasir Putih Kelantan and from Raub Pahang.

The BH owner in Pahang is a proud owner of a BH with 3000 birds inside with about 800+++ nests.

His report was something like this:

" Hi sifu, read your blog about running the external sound for 24 hours.  My BH have been running the external sound from the beginning till now, 3 years and 2 months.  Now the birds staying is around 3000.  Nests is 80 +++.  What do you think about it. TQ"

He seems to carry out the experiment either intentionally or unintentionally.

The good thing that happened to his BH is that the number of birds staying after three years is about 3000 or 1000 birds a year.

This must be dues to the external sound he played for 24 hours, according to him.

But what I am a bit concerned about is the number of nests inside which is only 800 plus plus.

If there are 3000 birds staying how come the number of nests is only 800 plus plus?

It should be at least 1200 to 1500 nests, right?

Could it be because of the external sound running for 24 hours?

Something is not right and we need some kind of reasons why and how to push those ungrateful tenants to quickly erect their nests.

My personal view, which might not be 100% right, those ungrateful swiftlet might have problem with the external sound.

They might have intoxicated with the external sound until they refuse to find a mate.

What I wanted to suggest to the BH owner is to lower the external sound volume playing at night and at the same time increase the internal sound volume (at night time).

Now let me share with you this report from Pasih Putih, Kelantan.

Remember this BH which I was asked to inspect last month?

One unusual method adopted by the owner was to play his external sound on 24 hours basis.

He installed at least 20-40 tweeters per floor dedicated to external sound playing.

I told him that this might be wrong and I suggested to him about adopting a new method.

Currently he run his internal sound on two hours on and two hours off.

I mean he uses two sets of amplifiers for his internal sound.

In cooling the amplifiers he set the auto setting to change every two hours.

This would mean each amplifier will run six time two hours or 12 hours a day.

What I told him to do was to change the method to run on 13 hours and 11 hours rotation.

What is important was to run the night time sound at a higher volume while during the daytime his internal sound should be lower.

He never thought about this new method and he asked me why.

My explaination to him was something like this:

If your external sound is off say at 8:00 pm your new tenants will be at a kind of lost.

Hey how come my favorite sound is dead? After hanging around at the external sound tweeters he or she will have three choices.

1) To stay put at the dead tweeters.  This will not happened.  After about 10-15 minutes with no sound at the external tweeter they will opt to the next or the next point.

2) They will fly out of your BH.  This will be a big loss to you effort to lure them in.

3) They will shift their location to your internal sound playing tweeters.  This is what you wanted most of them to do.  Remember the internal sound will be the sound that will urged them to mate and built those nests.

So I told him to run the internal sound at a louder sound volume about 15 minutes before the external sound stop.  In this particular case at 7:45 pm.

He did what I asked him to do and this was his sms message:

"Pak Harry (PH), I refer to your blog today ... I waited until my BH external sound stop at 8:00 pm tonight. After 15 minutes not a single birds rush out of my BH.  Your philosophy is always right."


I am not very sure to accept his compliment but I think I have proven that the technique I recommended make sense.

But what about this interesting story from Vietnam?

This was some of the messages received from Dat.

"Pak Harry, I just read your new post about external sound.  Yes some external sound could be used during night time. One of my customer has a very strange phenomena. When he stopped the external sound all his birds starts flying out. Even the internal sound used was your famous SuperBabyKing."

"Then he asked me if he can try to play external sound of a 24 hours basis or not.  I recommended your external sound Super 208 for a trial run. Yes after doing so he succeeded in stopping those birds from flying out."

I asked how old was the BH and how many birds was he talking about.

His answer was : a new BH with about 50 birds.

He also know that some external sound if played for 24 hours will make those birds become crazy like the "Black Cloud".

I am pleased with his quick action to help the new BH owner.

Those birds stop flying out after the external sound were tuned to run on 24 hours basis.

The next issue will be: will they built those nests ?

I asked him to monitor the situation closely and report back to me for result.

The three stories above have some kind of lesson that we can learn or experiment.

Running external sound on 24 hours basis is not new but no one have research their effect on nests building.

How I wish more researches be carry out to investigate on this matter.

For now I wanted to install the 24 hours external sound running on two of the four floors at Kulim BH.

Already spoken to the BH owner and he agreed to my proposal.

If the experiment show good result we shall run all the four floors on a 24 hours basis.

If the result is negative we shall stop the 24 hours sound at 8:45 pm.

No comments: