Search This Blog

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Belara BH Inspection : What I Wanted To Know Is The Number Of Nests Now !!!

( Visiting This BH for The 2nd Time)


I remember visiting Belara about 10 months ago.

During the special occasion I was given the opportunity to inspect the BH since I was given the task to check the number of birds around the place.

Ten month ago I was told that the total number of nest inside this particular BH was around 800.

Within 10 months how many nests increased do you think?

If we assume that these birds multiply every 4 months that will be 2.5 cycle.

If 800 nests each with two eggs the total number of birds produced by this BH will be around 800X2X2.5 = 4000 young birds.

How many of these new birds return to the same place where they were hatched and raised?

Let us assume about 30% and that will be 1200 young birds or 600 nests ( Am I right?).

The number of nests inside this BH should be around 800 + 600 = 1400?

This is just an assumption on the condition that this BH was properly looked after and the environment inside it is well designed, proper darkness plus wet.

Let us hope that the number is something closed to this number.

However deep inside my heart I know this number I calculated will not be true.

On the average the growth per year looks like 160 nests (800/5).

This is based on 800 nests after 5 years of operation.

So if the BH is lucky we might see about 900 nests plus minus.

To me this is a non performing BH.

My rule of the thumb is to see your BH nests growth around 100% a year.

A 100 new nests per year is equivalent to 20% which is very low.

If I was the owner of this BH I will ask myself where have all those young birds went to?

Why are they not returning to the same place where they were hatched?

If they know the right answer they should quickly make the necessary modifications inside their BH to ensure that at least 30-50 % will return to occupy those empty straight plank areas.

This is where they need to ask for help.

Call me if you are facing nearly similar situation and you have no idea what is wrong with your BH.

My number of 017 7551318

No comments: