Search This Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Rusty Pails Of Iron Scraps In A BH At Pekan Nenas !!!


Sorry for not writing during the weekend. Travelling and make more new discoveries.....................

I was in Kota Tinggi,Johor then to Pekan Nenas, Johor and on the way home stop at Melaka.

In Kota Tinggi visited my good friend who was pretty busy with his Sedili Kecil Eco Park project. The Johor State approved swiftlet ecopark, 64 units of fours stories swiftlet BHs, was on schedule and one row of 15 units was about to be completed.

Most of the units were sold to his friends but there are a few that are available for public. Price around 800,000 rm for the old phase. New phase will be above 1 million ringgit.

Among the topics were talked was about a number of BHs he left stranded in Setiawan. They were well constructed and he is letting it go at below market price.
Four huge units and I planned to take a good look next week when I make my trip to Setiawan.

The next task was to meet two blog readers who wanted me to advise on the conversion of two units of shop houses in Sri Saujana town ship. They recently purchased the two units, side by side, and currently the upper floors were left unoccupied.

Took a good look at the two and told them what they should do. The best method to get the two units be quickly populated is to use the double entrance system. One unit will be the side entry while the other should go for top entry. Will spend some time to recommend the best configurations and will email to them soon.

Then I make my way down to Pekan Nenas, Johor. It was raining heavily and I took about 1.5 hours to be in Pekan Nenas from Kota Tinggi.



The owner indicated that his BH, on an agricultural land, have difficulties in drawing any birds to the entrance hole. The strange thing was that all the good sounds that were very effective in another BH seem to give very little reaction to this new BH.

I took at good look at the new BH and strange enough there were a few spots of bird shits on the floor.

Hmm the BH do have some tenants but not many yet. The house was too dry and the house cement smell were still heavy. I told him to increase the supply of fresh bird shits and ammonia powder.

The installation of soundless humidifiers might solved his dryness problems. Six to 8 units per floor will increase the humidity level to within 85%RH.

One strange thing that I discovered was a number of pails of rusty iron scraps. I told him what was it for? Well he was given the advise to place these rusty irons during his trip to Madura, Indonesia.





Hmm..... very interesting technique and I have never come across such an idea.

The rusts (iron oxide) gives a kind of smell that attract birds to stay, according to him.

He also installed a few pails of salt water. I wrote an article on the important of salt to these birds but never thought of placing a few containers of their water in the BH. This guy did. A very interesting findings.

Please read this old article about salt: http://swiftletfarming.blogspot.com/2009/12/af-will-require-some-salts-in-their.html

The next day on the way back to KL stop at Melaka, the historical city. I was asked to visit a BH which was recently launched about 4 months back.

The owner seem to be very excited over the number of tenants that he received so far and he seem to install something more then I expected.

I entered his BH and found something that I have never seen.

The moment I entered the ground floor, there was this Quran Reading sound that a small salt lamp on the floor. The best thing was that there were a couple of birds flying on this ground floor.

Hmm .... I asked him who gives him all these new ideas? Pak Harry, who else? It was you. Remember the other day when I called you and complained that the ground floor was empty and no birds. Now you can see that they have moved down.

Not a bad advise after all. It works.

About the Quran reading sound, it was something that was never done before but I told him to monitor the effect. If the sound works then it will be our latest discovery.

I was given the sample of the sound they used and will share with those who are keen to try. What you need is to install an additional tweeter and an amplifier. Place the tweeter at the middle of the lowest floor.

I was very fascinated with the whole ideas but told them to monitor the effects closely. Try not to go overboard and chase those birds away. Make sure the sound volume low but play at a specific time. Stop all sound in the evening when they are returning home.

My assumption was that if they like this additional sound they might bring other birds to come over and populate the BH. This new background sound might also minimise the young birds from flying to another BH with no Quran sound. Once they are familiar with the soothing sound of the Quran, they might feel that only those with the Quran sound is peaceful and safe.....

No comments: