Thursday, August 26, 2010
I called it the BirdShit Removal Syndrome!!!
Been on the road for three days.
Yesterday was in Melaka then to Batu Pahat.
In Melaka met a new comer to swiftlet farming in Malaysia but she originated from Indonesia.
I met her because she wanted my help to conduct some tests with some products that she brought in from Jakarta.
I told her that my wish is the same as her. If the item works then there is something to talk about in the future.
After the 45 minutes meeting I proceeded to Batu Pahat, Johor.
A group of BHs owners wanted my service to inspect one of the many BHs that they owned and get to the roots of their problem.
"Harry this particular BH have about 300 nests and next to it is with 500 nests. Our biggest problem is they nest population suddenly stop multiplying. We want to know the possible reasons and how to overcome the situation".
Very interesting problem which is more complicated as compared to those with little nests (lesser then 50 after 2-3 years).
I was taken to the BH and allowed to inspect the external and internal.
They started the conversion some time in year 2003. The nest population growth were steady until the 5th year.
After the fifth year the nest population literary stopped increasing.
What can be the possible reason?
Any smart Alex out there who can help?????
Let me give you more information on the BH history:
1) The unit is a three stories shop house and all the floors were converted to BH.
2) There are a number of units beside this affected unit that is doing very well one on the left and the other on the right.
3) The BH uses a shaft/tunnel top entry and each floor will have their own opening.
4) They have changed the sound frequently with the best sound they can lay their hand on.
5) The floor was pretty cleaned like it was cleaned about five to six months ago.
6) The owner have been removing those bird shit regularly. It seem that during one occasion the shits was so much they have some bug bite on the legs. That was 5 years ago.
7) They erected those partitions to turn one or two areas into VIP room.
8) They did those forced harvest but nothing seem to work.
9) They do have those water pool around the wall perimeter but all were dried up.
So what do you think was the cause of the stoppage?
My guess is of course the bird shit removal from the house which they started about 2 years ago.
Prior to that incident the nests population were growing.
They did not realized that bird shit removal is a taboo or "pantang" for a new house.
This particular episode is known as "Bird Shit Removal Syndrome". The BH turn from a healthy unit into a sick unit just because the owner did not realized that those young birds are very sensitive with their shit removal.
I have reasons to believe that the above is something that you need to be very careful about.
I remember during my last visit to the colorful BH in Sungai Rambai, Kuala Selangor.
The tour guide was complaining to me that the owner wanted to revamp the BH since the nest population suddenly stop.
To clear my curiosity I asked her, did the management removed the bird shit prior to the incident?
Her answer was yes. After the shit removal the growth were no longer there and the management could not understand why.