Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Something That You Can Learned From !!!

I was in Johor last week and one of my blog reader wanted me to inspect his 1 year old BH.

The trouble with this BH was that the number of nests was only 12.

When I was standing outside the unit the number of swiftlet in the sky was plenty and the were at least 3 to 4 successful BH around the corner.

What can be the reasons for such as slow growth?

I entered the BH with the owner and I was surprised with the number of bird shit spots on the floor.

I quickly asked told him what I saw.

What I saw was the number of bird shit spots were equal to the number of tweeters on the nesting planks.

The BH was installed with about 50 and the bird shit spots was nearly equal.

Why don't the number of tweeters be increased to say 150?

I am very sure the number of bird shit spots will increase in tandem with the tweeters numbers !!!

The only strange thing was that out of the 50 bird shit spots, mostly pretty heavy spots,  there were not many nests.

What can be the reasons why they do stays but not building their nests?

Hmm .... pretty strange I told him.

The possible reasons can be the followings:

1) The house humidity was not within range.  During my visit his BH humidifier was out of operation.  I showed him some of the nest cracks badly. One humidifier might not be good enough.  Worst was that there was no Humidity sensing gadget hung on the wall.

2) There is a very strong possibility that the internal sound was not pushing those young birds from mating.  Remember if those young birds do not mate then there will be no nest making. My recommendation was to quickly change the internal  sound to BabyKing.

3) The number of birds entering was too little.  Most will enter the roving but will quickly rush out.  What can be the best solution?  The simple reason why those birds are not entering the house was that there was not a single tweeter playing the external sound in the house.  The birds enter the entrance hole because of those external sound.  They came so far to the sound but it ended at the roving areas only.  The moment they loose those sound they will find their way back to the external sound tweeters.  Install a few external sound tweeters inside the nesting room or perhaps the VIP room.

4) What about those external sound?  Must he continue using the same sound day in and day out?  I think a smart BH operator will have at least 5 - 10 effective sounds with him.  If one sound wares down he can change to his next most effective sound immediately.  Well I remembered today after doing the revamp operation and change the external sound to Tongkat Ali, the house was back to life.  There were at least 50 to 100 birds flying in and out of the entrance hole.  Unbelievable and he was so surprised with so many respond by using a new good sound.

5) Maybe those young birds are lazy to build their nests.  They prefer to hijack other bird nest?  It is possible so why don't we install more fake nests?  I installed nearly 50 fake nests but told him to quickly remove them once they were being used, one time limit if possible.


I hope, after my 3 days efforts, will get those birds to start building their nests and perhaps much more then before.

No comments: