Search This Blog

Monday, February 21, 2011

New Finding: Chiseling of Markings On Cement Walls Before A Nest Is Build !!!

While inspecting the Nilai BH yesterday I was not focusing on the total number of nests but was looking for anything weird that can tell me something more about the BH and the swiftlet behaviors.

There were two findings that was worth to mention to the owner or perhaps to those who wanted to know some interesting discoveries.

The first was the clear indication of swiftlet using their beak to scars the cement walls to prepare their nesting base.

What I discovered was that they will take great length of time to chisel the cement wall with black paint on it and get the spot ready before starting their nests building on the exact spot.

Have a good look at this picture:


 This seem to be very interesting and I was never informed before that swiftlet also knows how to use there beak to chisel the wall of a building to prepare their nest base.

Once the sport is being chisel it will become a bit rough thus allows the saliva to have the ability to grip onto the surface.


Very interesting and I would say this is my new discovery for year 2011.

My second finding was those broken nests that cannot be due to the young babies but more by a predator that feed on the nest.

Will post the nests pictures in my nest posting.

No comments: