Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Very Interesting News From Kota Bahru Kelantan !!!


Sorry for not posting any new things during the long holidays.

Currently helping a newbie with his decision to buy or not to buy a piece of land in Kota Bahru, Kelantan.

I was in my hometown when a newbie called for my details so that he can purchased my ticket to fly over to KB last week.

His mission was to get my final confirmation about a piece of land about 25 minutes drive southeast of Kota Bahru, Kelantan.

"Pak Harry, before I part with my hard earned money, I want to be 100% sure that that piece of land is suitable for my dream BH."

That was his wish and I think he did the right thing.

Upon landing at Pengkalan Chepa airport, he fetched me for a small breakfast and we went straight to the land.  On the way I asked him if he knows any BH within 1-2 kilometers from the location.

We stopped at a number of BHs and initially I was a bit concerned over the number of birds flying above all the BHs he showed.

After the initial view I told him my two days plans and he need to comply to it.

First let me check into a small hotel and perhaps rest for a while.  At about five I told him to pick me up for his first and the real experience to observe the birdcall test and perhaps determine the flying path.

He was on time and he managed to find his way to park his car just beside the targeted land.

I was still very unsure of how many birds will be showing up but took a long look around the land.

This piece of land was only about 10,300 square feet.  Currently filled with weeds and at one time was a padi field.  It was water logged and soggy and if you dare to walk on it you will sink about 2 feet deep.

On one side the land very closed to those dry land with a new residential houses (five bungalows) under construction and the opposite site was a small road lined with a 10 feet wide water canal filled with those touch-me-not marine plant.

Just after the canal those lands were filled with padi fields.

On the first padi plot I can see those high voltage power lines running parallel with the small canal about 100-200 feet away.

This irked me a bit because I used to have the impression that the high voltage lines do create those electromagnetic fields that can disorientate swiftlet GPS ability.  However it was okay since they were more then 100 feet off.
 
After 30-40 precious minutes, at about 6:00pm to be precise, those birds started to show a kind of pattern flying towards their homes.

I showed the phenomena to my newbie friend and he was stunned plus excitement with what was happening.

The number of bird flying towards the same direction started to grow and I asked him to get ready with the birdcall gadget.

Most of the birds were flying towards North-West.

So I told him that his BH main entrance hole should be facing the South-East directly towards their flying path.

The moment we switched on the "Duress" bird call sound, those birds swarmed over the gadget within seconds.  In less then 1 minutes there were already more then 200 birds.

I told him to quickly trace which direction the birds are coming from plus which direction were they flying above the gadget.

"Pak Harry it is amazing and it seems that those birds came from all directions."


Within about 10-12 minutes the number swelled to about 1000.

All these while I said they will normally take the anti clockwise but this time more then 80% were on the clockwise.

It passed my minimum expectation of 250 but I told him the higher the better.

Out of every 100 birds only 20-30 are your potential tenants (young birds with no nest of their own yet).  The rest might not be very interested to move out unless you know some special techniques.

After about 18-20 minutes I told him to switch off the sound and try to observe what will happen to those crazy group of birds.



Immediately after we switched the sound off most of those birds were like being swept away by the heavy wind above the gadget.  Some will continue their journey home and some do come back towards the gadget to perhaps look for the last time.

We stayed back until no more birds flying above the land at about 7:30pm.

Well I told him that I would like to be at the same spot the next morning before sunrise.  I guaranteed him that it might be more excitement if my prediction was true.

The following day I was picked up at around 5:40 am and we were at the same spot at about 6:00am.

It was still very dark and it was very very interesting to observe the morning sun.

My main reason to be there very early in the morning was with a good reason.

My objective was to drill into this newbie that if he wanted to be a successful swiftlet farmer, he need to put a bit more effort and make sure he bring his motivation to the maximum.

I wanted to teach him to be dedicated and determined.  He need to be 110% sure that the land that he wanted to purchase have the right number of birds flying above it every day.  Morning towards one direction and evening in the opposite direction.

The morning sun started to show up at about 6:30-6:45 am and we can see, initially , lots of bats, but later those swiftlet started to fly back to back towards their fooding areas.

At about 7:00am I instructed him to start the "Duress" music again and this time the number of birds was nearly double the number detected yesterday.  More then 3000 of them hovering above the gadget.

To make it more exciting I told him to switch of the sound for about 10 good minutes and start it again.

The second batch was still many and I was very sure that the total number of birds passing above and nearby his targeted land to be purchased is around 30,000 to 50,000 per trip outward and inward.

My special finding was that those birds seems to have very little effect of those high voltage cables but they normally fly in parallel with it.

My final recommendation was a good buy and the grade given was A+.

Buy it and start cracking on the proper design.


Best of luck to him.

To those of you who wanted to do the same, my sincere advise is to conduct the same test methods.  Get the gadget and if possible an experience person to guide you during the first trip.

If you have difficulties to find someone just try this number 017 755 1318.

No comments: