Search This Blog

Friday, September 26, 2014

Segamat BH: Why I Go For More Cross Woods !!!



During the first inspection of this BH I noticed something that can easily attract more birds into the house.

The owner must have not noticed it but my long experience with swiftlet farming tells me a lot about this 4.5 years old BH.

The owner indicated that the nests numbers seems to be stagnant.

After 4.5 years only about 200 nests and he cannot understand why.

This prompted him to call me for my expert opinion.

During the 45 minutes inspection I kind of discovered a few interesting things like:

1) He is using top entry type of entrance hole.

2) Nearly all his external sound tweeters inclusive of those DIY hexagonal tweeters were dead.

3) Most of the nests were on the top floor and only 10 nests were at the lower floor.

4) The most interesting was that on the top floor nearly 90% of the nests were at those corners either on those nesting planks at the walls or at the crossings.

There were a few more findings but I think the crossings might be something that were attracted by these city dwelling birds.

You can see their bird shit markings on the floor in rows and all were below those crossing or closed to the walls.

I asked the owner "How about we increase the number of cross woods?"

Most of the 90* corners were taken and by installing new cross woods we can easily create more attractive areas for your visitors.

This will be my main focus.  I plan to increase the number of cross woods and provide the most attractive thing that these Segamat swiftlet love the most.

I instructed my workers to create more cross woods and no matter how many additional nesting planks are required I will get them the supply.

These pictures will tell you what I was trying to explain.











No comments: