Search This Blog

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Tikam Batu BH Visit !!!




This four stories BH measuring about 30 feet by 80 feet is currently with 5 nests.

The owner admitted that after two revamp operation and running for more than 4 years with four nests is disturbing.

He dumped in more than RM 400,000.

Five nests would mean each nest is worth 400,000 / 5 = 80,000 RM.

He called me a few weeks back and I was told that a BH owner from Padang Serai Kedah asked him to do so.

I told him to wait until this weekend since I was up in Sungai Patani.

He allowed me to conduct some inspection and I noticed something interesting which rarely happened in a four stories BH with wrongly located LAL holes.

Usually those birds will not reach the 1st floor however this BH there were some bird shit markings on the ground floor.

It defied logic but soon after I reached the third floor I got the answer why.

Usually these birds will avoid staying anywhere when they have no morning light to guide them out.

For this particular BH, the second consultant who revamped the BH opened one new entrance hole on the third floor just beside the LAL hole.

The bright light from this new hole allows those birds to be brace enough to stay at ground floor level.

There were a number of flaws found inside but I limit the points to about four.

1) The owner did nothing to learn how to improve the nests population.  He left everything to his so called consultant.  He did not change any of the sounds.  I don't think he attended any swiftlet farming Seminar.

2) The external sound used was a bit not attractive.  I changed to one of my standard sound.  That evening his brother who stayed closed by observed that there were at least 100 birds entered in the evening that day.

3) The internal sound used was totally not attractive, I told the owner.  This was where I wanted him to learn and understand why internal sounds is critical to his BH.  A good internal sound will encourage those young couples to quickly mate.  I told the owner they will only erect their nests if they mate.

4) The BH looks okay from the outside however internally there were many areas that can be improved to lure all those birds to enter and stays.  Each floor was with no partition wall and very little attraction.  I listed a few for him to understand.

My wish is to quickly revamp this BH and get as many nests in the shortest possible time as possible.

I might want to reuse the abandoned monkey house structure.

His previous consultant abandoned the monkey house and opened two entrance holes on the wall of the 4th and the 3rd floor.

I can also see a few more entrance holes that were opened and sealed.

Enjoy these pictures taken.








No comments: