Search This Blog

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Tanjung Karang BH : Frankly Speaking !!



The revamp operation on this new BH was delayed due to some problem with my workers.

The elder worker fell sick and I could not do much but wait until he is well.

While waiting for his heath to be OK I gathered some BH items and delivered to Tanjung Karang.

During the delivery I took a closer look at the BH and tried a number of my good sounds.

Based on the inspection I have the following to be very concerned:

1) The BH is too closed to those Oil palm trees.  

Many of the tree trunks were touching the BH walls.
A few that were at the main entrance hole seems to be getting too tall and will block the entrance hole within the next couple of months.
If the BH owner do nothing to remove these trees the entrance hole will be difficult to find and soon the hole will be blocked from the birds.
A few of those palm trees need to be sacrified.

2) There was very little response from those birds.

I tried a number of my good external sounds.
The number of birds that responded to these sounds were very little.
A very challenging situation when no birds wanted to response to my good sounds.
My only hope is that when my hexagonal and bazooka tweeters are installed they will respond.
At the moment I am keeping my finger crossed.

3) The external sound stop at the main entrance doors.

No wonder why the nests are not multiplying.
The consultant stop the sound at the entrance areas only and there was no external sound inside the nesting rooms and along the staircase to pull those wild birds.
This can be easily upgraded during the revamp operation.

4) This BH wetting system uses those water timer gadget.

The wetting system does not use any kind of mist maker but only a normal pipe hung along the walls and connected to the water supply pipe using the timer.
I think most of these timers were dead.  Their batteries were dead I guess.
I told the owner that his method was not suitable for the BH.
My recommendation was to upgrade using those chicken coop humidifiers controlled by a humidistat.
Each floor will requires at least three humidifiers.

5) His BH nesting rooms ceiling were all above 10 feet.

This is not what I like to carry out my work.
The installation of corner covers, tweeters and fake nests are crucial during maintenance.
If my workers are not careful they might be falling down the working table or ladder.
Could not do much on this issue but have to endure the hard ship.
I just lost 5 kilograms after climbing those stairs and ladders at Segamat BH.
Also have a bout of diarrhea for three days.
I have got to put up to this hard work all the time.

6) There is a big pond on the BH rooftop.

Main problem is with the water rust that float on the water surface.
I remembered cleaning the same in Sungai Rambai BH.
After a few months they will start to grow again.
There must be some chemicals to stop them from growing.

7) The BH seems to have quite a number of partitions and too many rooms.

There is nothing wrong to have those rooms but too many might not serve the purpose.
I believed one to two rooms will be good enough.
I therefore will remove a number of those unnecessary partitions and reduce the number of rooms on each floor.

8) The doors into these rooms were just too big.

My recommendation to the BH owner is to reduce all of them to something like 3 feet wide and not more that 4 feet for the lowest floor.
The whole idea is to reduce the light that pollute the nesting rooms.
The door frame have to be installed with two external sound tweeters on each side.

9) There were at least 5 more BHs about 200 meters away from this BH.

One very bad thing about this BH is its close proximity to a number of BHs.
Nearly all seems to have very little birds,
I counted and there were at least five which I can see and count.
All were at least 3 stories and 25 feet by 80 feet.
It was more like at a Swiftlet Eco Park.


Frankly this BH will be tougher to handle as compared to the one in Segamat, Johor.

I can only try my best to put all my knowledge and experiences to populate the BH.

If I can get 50% increase within the next 4-6 months I will be extremely happy.

Who knows I might get 100% up, (God please help me).

What ever the outcome I shall try to do my best for this BH.

There will be a few new things to install and I think if I can improve the internal system those birds will choose this BH as their favourite destination.

No comments: