Monday, February 1, 2010
Somewhere On The Pearl of the East Island (Penang) !!!
Managed to capture a number of photos when visiting a failed BH on Penang Island.
After more then 2 years only three nests.
The owner indicated that he was highly recommended to use a consultant named "Ah Meng" hailed from Sungai Patani, Kedah. Hmm .... sound very familiar. That is where my own home town.
Claimed to be on the panel of Dato Beh.
"Harry how come after using a very high calibre consultant, I can only get three nests after being in operation for more then 2 years?"
Well you cannot blame anybody but yourself. Your consultant must be very busy and got so much renovation works in hand and cannot give any attention to you.
You should have learn how to be a successful swiftlet farmer. May be now you can enroll to my monthly seminar.
I am glad that Ah Meng has recently passed away. If not he will have a trail of unseccessful BH owners all over the country. ( Meng sorry for saying that. May you rest in peace. Anyway your renovation seem to not attract enought birds inside.)
My post mortem on Ah Meng's workman ship are as follows:
1) He lacks professional knowledge about swiftlet's behaviours. He depend so much on his trials and errors and never attend any seminars. Main reason, he was cannot talk or understand English (according to this BH owner).
2) He never let the owner learn anything and every questioned asked was never answered or prefessional explained.
3) He was a very insecured person. He place very high emphasis on keeping the house safe from burgulars more then getting as many nest as possible. The entrance window steel door railings were larger then my hand.
4) He was a bit lazy in taking down all those walls inside the BH. These walls seem to give lots of turning for those birds. Some of the rooms were lesser then 10 feet X 10 feet size. Note: Swiftlet need a minimum of 12 feet by 12 feet room size.
5) His selection of the entrance hole was not right. He choose the middle away from those water pond. He should consider opening the entrance hole as close as possible to the water pond.
6) He uses more then one type of tweeter at the opening. This makes some of the tweeters loose their effectiveness.
7) He have no idea of waterproof tweeters. All his tweeters were located below the zinc roof extension. There was not a single tweeter on those walls where the birds enter the top opening.
8) The zinc extension blocked the bird's flying path and prevent the external sound to be more effective. It should have been removed in total.
9) All the three nests were on the upper floor. Not a single bird shit spot were located on the lower floor. My conclusion was that the birds were never awared that there is another floor made for them. Ah Meng did nothing to lure those birds to the lower floor.
10) I am amused at the way the internal tweeters were arranged. Due to very shallow knowledge on various functions of every tweeter, Ah Meng only thought that the tweeter only function is to play those sound. He forgot that tweeter can also be the prefer place where those wild birds love to latch to. The tweeter also provide some warm at night.
11) The number of tweeter were very few, not more then 20 per floor. This shows how little knowledge Ah Meng was. I normally will insert not less then 120 tweeters per floor. The more the marrier.
12) As usual Ah Meng uses those chicken coop humidifiers. He let the humidifier runs continuously and causing lots of fungus growing on nearly all those nesting planks. I hate to see this type of contamination. Who is going to do the cleaning up?
13) All the ventillation holes were left opened and you can safely said that the internal temperature and humidity was nearly the same as the outside air.
14) The owner indicated that he has been running with the same internal and external sound since launching. Never know how to replace both sound.
15) The internal sound used was a colony sound. I think that was not a right choice.
Hmm..... there were so many other things that I am keeping to myself but Ah Meng why must you make so many mistakes and cause so much miseries to all these hopeful people?
Well I am sad but the above descriptions are common to almost all those BHs that failed to produce results.
What I know was that the owner loose so much money, loose his personal esteem, don't dare to talk about his BH to any one, quarrel with his wife nearly every day, loose lots of sleep and hairs, libedo cannot work and sex life is down the drain.
Ah Meng can you tell me why you should do this?