Saturday, February 6, 2010
Which Part Of Your BH the LAL Should Be Located???
If your BH is more then two stories high you have to open a hole somewhere on the upper floor to draw those birds to the lower floors.
This widow or opening we termed it as "Lubang Antara Lantai" or LAL.
The size varies but the most important point is where should you locate the hole?
I have inspected many BHs and more often then not I find that most BH owners or their consultants have very little clues where these LAL should be located.
It is more like a trial and error is taking place.
Every BH that have no tenants on the lowest floor have to be the LAL to be blamed.
It will normally due to wrong location, wrong sizing and event they are rightly placed and reasonable sized nothing was provided to lure those birds downstairs.
Let me give some ideas about LAL:
1) Basically LAL served as the entrance hole from one floor to the other. If the highest floor depend very much on the entrance hole of the building, the second and the lower floors will depend greatly on the LAL.
2) Using staircases in shophouses as LAL can sometime be wrong. If the consultant knows what he is doing I would say alright but more often these consultants have very little clues on how to optimise the flying pattern in the house. At the end of the day the lower floors will be empty.
3) If this LAL is wrongly located, those birds will never know how to move downstairs. You need to make sure that these LAL are located correctly where those swiftlets are flying in from the roving room to the nesting room. Remember you need to be very precise and you cannot do a trial and error. The trick here is to ensure that every birds that flew entering the nesting room from the roving area will pass above the LAL.
4) The size of an LAL need to at least as big as the entrance hole on those wall. If you have an entrance hole of 2.5 feet by 3 feet then you should use the same dimension as the minimum size of your LAL. If I were you I will increase the size to something larger like 4 feet by 6 feet.
5) If you have the opening done, will those birds fly downstairs? Er er....nope. They will not fly downstairs unless you pull them down using those external sound. Yes you need to install at least three external sound tweeters around the hole perimeter playing the same sound that your are playing on the entrance hole up on the roof.
6) What else should be done? The next important things to do is to have the VIP room ready to lure those young birds to stay. Yes decorate the VIP room(s) with all those goodies that are proven to be very attractive to these swiftlets.
If you are not sure and cannot figure out the above explaination don't be stupid. Just pick up your mobile phole and call 017 755 1318 for more information.
Your action will surely helps you to make the right decision.
Remember making stupid mistakes are costly in swiftlet farming......