Search This Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Simpang Empat, Kedah BH Inspection !!!




I wanted to be out of Kuala Lumpur on July 9th 2011 to avoid those nasty clash between the FRU police and those road demonstrators.

What I did was to head to SP and arranged for a few BH visit to listen to their BH problems and advised on some rational things to do.

One of the BH was in Simpang Empat about 15 Km from Alor Star Kedah.

The owner was having trouble to populate his BH even though there were plenty of birds flying in and out of the house during my last morning visit.

"Pak Harry, after more than one year we only managed to have about 10 nests.  We followed nearly all what you recommended."

That was what they claimed.

Nearly all what I recommended but the result was very disappointing, I asked them.

There must be something wrong?

I entered the BH and to my disappointment there was nothing like what they said.

The nesting rooms were so bright.  I can stand at the entrance door and I can see the last wall of the BH.

There were no VIP rooms to be seen.

The external sound tweeters were only made available at the entrance hole and the staircase areas.

The only thing that I observed they followed was the fake nests using Styrofoam strips.

Inside my heart I was very again disappointed that the BH was very  poorly designed with very little attraction to those wild birds.

This was a kind of typical BH that will get very little number of birds inside no matter how many were flying at the entrance hole.

I took about 45 minutes to lay down the steps that they need to do.

Prior to that I arranged to test the list of sounds that were suitable for the BH.

After testing about 12 sounds and they did the counting of the number of birds responded they finally select 5.

My advise to them was not to play those sounds until some renovation works, as per my recommendations are made.

It will be a shear waste of effort if they do not make any changes.

Those birds will enter but will not stays since they will only play at the entrance hole.

The first thing they need to do was to immediately install those external sound tweeters inside the nesting rooms.

The second was those partitions to block the bright light.

The third have something to do with those internal sound tweeters numbers and how to install them properly.


I reminded them that they need to improve their swiftlet farming knowledge and only with these knowledge they can lure those wild birds to stay.

Spend some money to attend some of those swiftlet farming courses and get the right advises.


There were so many birds at their entrance hole, what they need was to ensure that those birds will not only enter but stay as their tenant.

Currently the BH seems to be not attractive enough.

Do everything that you can and provide whatever those birds likes until the nest numbers touches 300 nests.

Once the nests number touches 300 they should resort to ways to encourage or focus in encouraging those young birds to stay with their parent.

They need no longer depend on those birds from their neighbors any longer.

No comments: