Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Is It Possible To Repopulate A Vacant Cave ?

This morning I was invited to have breakfast with a Dato from Sabah.

All he wanted to know was is it possible to repopulate a Cave that was once with thousands of swiftlet nests.

He came to Kuala Lumpur to attend a business meeting and while waiting for his flight back to Sabah he called me to meet for a cup of coffee.

The sad thing that happened during the breakfast meeting was that his dear mother passed away in a hospital back in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. The doctor in charged called him to inform about his sick mother.

I felt the sadness that he endured to lose someone so dear to him.

I told him that I too lost both my parent about two years ago.

You feel so empty without them and every one of us will go through the same experience once in their life time.

At that particular time all you wanted was to have another few minutes to be with them.

What he wanted to ask me was on this particular idea of repopulating a cave that was once full of swiftlet nests.

"Pak Harry, I remembered those days when I used to be one of the nests harvester.  There were so many of them but now there were not a single nest.  Is there any way to bring them back?"

My frank answer to him was "We can try but I have never been asked to rehabilitate caves before."

If they have stayed there before I am sure they will be willing to return home but we need to prevent the same that caused them to move out.

After about 2 hours breakfast I told him to allow me to visit the cave and I shall bring a set of sound gadget to test if those wild birds will show any response.

My plan is to be in KK perhaps on the 3rd week of this month and visit the cave for two days.

In the meantime will assemble a set of sound system to carry over to the site.

My condolences to you and family Dato.

No comments: