Four years plus with only about 10-12 nests.
Nearly all were on the top most floor.
The moment I heard the nests number and where they are located, I told the owner a very simple predictions.
His entrance hole must be facing the west and at the same time the LAL is not easy to find (by those birds).
I was right on both predictions.
However what upset me most was what the owner used as his external sound.
He was playing "Duress" sound.
Absolutely uncalled for and this might be the reason why his BH nests number was not high.
Upon asking a few question I begin to understand why.
His knowledge about swiftlet was negligible and he did the BH all by himself.
Attended a swiftlet just one time and he erected a BH.
A very brave man but unfortunately he make so many mistakes.
These were some of his mistakes which if avoided can have a much better result:
1) He used "Duress" as his external sound.
2) His main entrance hole was facing the West.
3) His monkey house hat was a bit too long.
4) He never heard of hexagonal tweeter before and never installed. Only recently his son and wife attended my Swiftlet Seminar at Port Dickson and she bought one unit.
5) He painted all his walls (inside) will black paint all over even the floor.
6) Each floor was empty with no partition to create any room.
7) All his air vent extension pipes were too short (1 foot long).
8) The LAL on both the top and middle floor were wrongly located.
9) There was no external sound at the end of the nesting floor.
10) All 90* corners were covered with 45* edges wood strips.
11) The number of internal sound tweeters was not adequate, about 40 per floor.
12) Never install any fake nest.
13) His top floor roof was made of cement board about 1 cm thick. This makes the top floor very warm.
14) His internal sound was weird with no baby sound at all.
There were a number more things and I think I have enough for the moment.
The moment you observe all these errors you might want to vomit.
It is very sad and there are more to come.
Let me know if you wish to be around during my next trip.
Call 017 7551318