Search This Blog

Saturday, May 16, 2015

On The Roof Top Of A House !!!



Visited this BH located somewhere at Tanjung Rhu 10 off Setiu Trengganu.

My first visit was about a month ago and my second about a week ago.

When I first opened my car door I was wondering where is this owner's BH.





The moment I heard the external sound I looked up on the house roof and there you are a very small jack roof that was a bit too tight for those birds to enter.

I shook my head a number of times and keep asking what was the owner trying to do.

This is very unusual and I am not very sure if the local authority allows such place.

Well since I was there to carry out some sort of inspection I found my way up to the BH floor.

I need to cross the main hall of the house in order to climb a wooden ladder to reach the top.

The floor in this small room was filled with lots of rubbish.

The data room looks more like a chicken shed.

When the owner opened the entrance door into his unusual BH I was shocked to see how the renovation was done.

The nesting planks nearly touches the floor.

The BH was very bright and main culprit were the main entrance hole and the air passage ( his consultant use those flower bricks).

The main entrance hole was facing the east but not facing the birds flying home direction.

The light from this opening was never blocked with any wall.

I admitted to the BH owner that I have never visited any BH that looks like his.

It was therefor very difficult to give the precised recommendations.

Those that I remembered telling him were:

1) He need to open a new entrance hole so that it will face the birds flying home.

2) The current hole should be left at it is but he can remove those tweeters.  This hole was facing the morning sun so he can allow the morning sun to come in.

3) To block the bright light coming from two entrance holes he need to erect a wall with a door.

4) All those ventilation hole bricks need to be properly shut off.  I did a sketch on how he must do and hopefully he will.

5) I selected two locations to be used as VIP rooms.

6) The temperature inside his nesting room need some kind of attention.  It was a bit too hot.  Perhaps he can shield them off by using my recommended heat shield material.


I can assure him that he might get much better results as compared to now.

He only has one full nest and about 4 half nests after almost 2-3 years into operation.

This was not a very good decision and he agreed with me.

Have a look as some of those pictures taken:










No comments: