Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Accidently True: Some Bright Light Do Help !!!

Something that I am puzzled but would like to report in my Blog.

Maybe some one has some good explanations........

I was on my way collecting some equipment for my Bentong BH today.

Received a SMS from Mr.K from Port Klang.

Mr.K's BH went into operation mode about three weeks ago. He followed nearly all the advises given in my Blog.

I was invited to view his data room once and we have a nice evening watching those wild birds swooping into his BH from the outside. He do installed a CCTV system which I can view from the data room.

" Harry I forgot to switch of one of the neon light on the lower floor. There seem to be more birds going down to the lower floor now".

I was curious and make a call to check on what he was trying to say.

Well, he indicated that that neon light, a four feet length neon light, was not switched off during his last visit in his BH. When he came back to switch off, there were more birds then before. How come?

I was a bit puzzled with the phenomena. All this while we thought that the light must be 2 candelas and the maximum about 10 candelas. Now he got his room lighted up with a four feet neon light and the birds seem to be okay with it?

Hmm...... he is asking why is it so? I just could not find a rational answer!!!

Could be because his BH is pretty new and the birds need more light to find the way down to the lower floor?

Before the light was on only three birds flew in. Now he has more then 10?????

I suggested to him to let the light on for a few more days and observe the population. If they keep rising, he should continue with the light on......

Hope he will continue sending me his reporting .....

I just wanted to share with my blog readers .....

These are some weird things that are against the understanding of swiftlet farming practice. Since it work, why should we go against it .......

Hmm.... weird, weird and weird .........

4 comments:

Ben Gan said...

Harry,
Once I tried to frighten away some swiftlets by installing blinking neon lights. This not only did not work but more swiftlets came to the place to settle there.

Yes, swiftlets do love the lights. I agree. I do not know about AF swiftlets. Since they belong to the same kind, I am giving it the benefit of doubt. They should love the lights too.

K L said...

Do you mean fluorescent light tube ?

I went to visit a BH last week and observed that the entrance hole was 4'x8', very big indeed and quite bright inside. Apparently, his sifu told him that the birds nowadays are quite daring, not shy anymore !

Yong

tirokswifts said...

Harry,

If you observe the awiftlets swarming the lamp posts at night catching the flying ants, then it is not a surprise that they like the lights on. People are assuming that swiftlets live in darkness are just assumptions made observing their habitat in caves and old shophouses that are not lighted. People just follow what was done before (the kiasu phenomena) and continue with it. What I dare to say is that swiftlets are like humans and they are adaptable to the environment. For, example the temples where the swiftlets are staying. They love the joss sticks so much that they forgot about the darkness. How about burning gaharu as aroma to attract the swiftlets to stay in the farm. There are still alot of R & D to be done on swiftlets behaviour to achieve optimum output for the farm. Harry, keep on your good work reporting on new ideas and findings. Syabas my friend.

HENDRI said...

Harry,

This is not new phenomena. In my book "Strategi Jitu Memikat Walet" i have mentioned the same thing.