Search This Blog

Monday, June 30, 2008

BirdCall Tests: Tanjung Malim, Port Klang And Kota Kuala Muda !!!

The last few days, I have conducted three birdcall tests in three areas using the birdcall gadget.

I am of the opinion that all the tests conducted were very interesting and you can learn so many things from each test conducted.

These are some of the interesting things resulted from those tests:

1) Kota Kuala Muda.

One of my relative claimed that he have a piece of land, about 7 acres, hilly areas closed to Pantai Merdeka, Kuala Muda district. I remember this place very well because this was where I met my 1st girlfriend and now she is my beloved wife.

Once at the site I pull the test kit and played the Duress or should I now call "Fiesta". The moment the sound was switched on, the birds came over and stayed for almost 30 minutes until we switch the sound off. The number was about 100 of them.

After the test we headed home towards Sungai Patani, Kedah. On the way back I saw a huge number of swiftlets playing above those padi fields. I quickly slowed my car and turned to a side road. This time I told my relative that this will be a very good feat for him to see the actual birdcall test. The moment the Fiesta was played, more then a thousand flocked above the gadget. He could not believe what he saw and he quickly agreed with me that the result at his piece of land is too little as compared to this latest test.

2) Meru, Klang.

I was contacted by one of my blog reader who wanted to purchase a piece of agricultural land in Meru, Klang. First he wanted my sincere advise.

I told him before me make any commitment do a birdcall test first. I was there last Friday, June 27th,3 2008. The land, about 132,000 square feet, was closed to the sea but the number of birds were not very encouraging by looking at the sky.

As usual, the Fiesta was played and not a single bird responded. I feel bad and decided to move the test about 50 meters away in an open area. We played nearly 40 minutes and about 20 turned up.

My conclusion is that the area is not suitable and it is better to look around for another site. He agreed and thank me for helping him to pull off from departing with RM100,000 for the land. He now decided to purchase the birdcall gadget on this July 3rd, 2008 GAHP seminar. He has a piece of land in Pekan, Pahang....

3) Tanjung Malim, Perak.

This is one of the most exciting birdcall test and worth my effort.

The test went rather slow. For the first 5 minutes there were only 5 but it started to grow quickly to 250 birds after 20 minutes.

After we stop the sound there were many more that were on the way from nearly all directions (360*). Very unique and there are so many things that you learn from this test.

Firstly, even the sound was very mild (low) the birds can still detect the sound.

Second, once they locate the sound they will not move away but continue circling above the sound source until we stop the sound (5 minutes or so).

Thirdly, the number continues to increase every minutes until we decided to stop the call.

Fourth, they seem to enjoy the sound to the maximum. Some seem to chase each other and do not feel threaten or scare of any predators.

Fifth, they seem to fly mostly (60%) in the clockwise direction while the rest will be the other way.

Sixth, they will stay around for more then 5 to 10 minute even after the sound is no longer in operation.

Seventh, those who came in late will fly toward the initial source looking around where those sound originated. I think I heard them saying "Oh Shit I was late".


The above are some interesting observations and you need to be there to see the actions.

The best is to have your own birdcall gadget and play the "Fiesta".

I will continue to do these tests and I can assure you that I always carry one in my car boot.....

1 comment:

Ben Gan said...

Great! Your have changed the name from Duress to Fiesta which is definitely a better name for the sound.