Search This Blog

Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Marvellous Idea In Preventing Chicak, Geckos and Snakes !!



I received the above picture from a regular blog reader on how a prevent his BH from Cicaks, Geckos and Snakes.

His idea was to place mesh wires below the nesting plank. Exact description of his recommentdation is as follows:

Quote:

I noticed in one starting BH that the hatchlings don't seem to mature. I suspected that some gecko lizards were preying on the eggs and hatchlings. So I took some wire screen - about 3/4" x 3/4" square and cut off strips about 8" wide and about an arm's length long. I cut along the edge of a horizontal wire leaving the edge with pin-like projection. These strips I attached using staples on the outer face of the nesting planks leaving at least 6" so that the pin edges were pointing downwards like a line of spears. The barrier must form a continuous enclosure - no gaps and no contact with the walls. I have observed chicks maturing to fly off after this measure. The pin-fence should discourage any gecko or snake from crossing towards the nesting area. Also, be sure your ceilling has no holes where these pests can pass. Please see attached picture. Good luck.

Unquote:

I hope the description and picture provided are usefull and informative.

Enjoy learning new things......

1 comment:

K L said...

Hi, Harry,

I gather the mesh is installed at the perimeter ( boundary )of the nesting area only. Otherwise, it may obstruct the flight path. Am I right ?

Yong