Search This Blog

Friday, May 8, 2009

I Missed My Havesting Due To Egg Already In The Nests !!!

While in Setiawan, met up with a good friend who told me that in his birdhouse all the nests are occupied with swiftlet eggs.

"Harry I was a bit too late to Carry out my nest harvesting for this cycle . All the nests were occupied with two eggs. late by a few days."

The question here is that should my friend still harvest or not to touch any of those nests?

I told him that he should. If he misses this harvest that means he need to wait for another four months.

This would mean a lost of an income generating exercises. He seem to adopt nest harvesting after those young birds leaves the nests.

So what was my advise?

I told his this simple method.

Since all the nests were with two eggs, he should harvest one every three nests. Before he harvest the nest, he should transfer the eggs one to left nest and the other to the right nest.

In this was all his nest will have 3 eggs per nest.

In this way he will not waste those eggs and the number of babies will remain the same or in fact more. This is due to the fact those owners whose nest were harvested will still built a new one and lay new eggs within at least 15 to 20 days once they find that their nests were harvested.

So you cannot said that he is doing a "Forced Harvest" since those eggs were not at all destroyed. They were being placed into the next door neighbors house to incubate and brought up.

I am of the opinion this might be a very good strategies to multiply the number of new babies in your BH.

If all the harvested nest are rebuilt and have babies, you actually increase the number of babies by 33%. So every cycle you increase the number of babies by 33%. Three times a year you actually increase 100% of young birds every year.

Usually the number of new birds are 300% but this technique will increase another 100% thus giving you a 400% birds per year.

I might be crazy but I am just giving a frank opinion.

I might be wrong but if you think logically this might be a very good method to adopt.

No comments: