Search This Blog

Sunday, December 23, 2012

A Closer Look At A Wooden BH In Papar !!!

(Wooden BH in Papar about 20 feet X 60 feet and 8 feet high)


I wanted to have a closer look at this wooden BH for quite some time.

My main intention was to review its performance and see if this can be one of the most ideal low cost BH for those low income groups.

While in Kota Kinabalu Sabah, I was given another opportunity to view this 1.5 years old wooden BH located some where near a town called Papar.

The cost to erect one unit of 20 feet wide by 60 feet long by 8 feet high was said to be around RM 60,000 excluding the cost of buying the land and pulling the electricity line to site.

It was elevated using those solid wood to prevent any flooding or attack by wild pigs and so forth.

What I was very concerned about was the temperature inside.

What about the nesting room's humidity and darkness?

After viewing the external and internal I have to say that overall the design was not that bad however it could have been better.

The internal temperature was on the high side.  If I was the fabricator I will install either those heat shield roll on all the side walls and the ceiling.

The internal temperature must not be above 31*C but the thermometer recorder indicated a maximum of 39*C.

I wonder why didn't the fabricator who have been building so many similar type of wooden BH take no notice about this critical issue.

The second point of concern was the darkness inside the nesting room.  It was not to what I would love to have in my BH.  It has to be dark enough where when you stand two feet apart and you could not see each other's face.

In this BH you can still still see each other even if you stand 5 feet apart.

The owner have to do something.  What I recommended was to erect a kind of wall or partition to block the light and at the same time create a VIP room.

The next biggest concern was the external sound tweeters.  They were all located at the entrance and roving areas but what about inside the nesting room?

I explained my reasons why he needed a few kite tweeters playing external sound inside his nesting room.

Most contractors or consultant will ignore the importance by I for one will always advice to BH owners to think about it and perhaps try it out.

I manage to touch about the position of the entrance hole.  I prefer a monkey house however this BH its entrance hole was at one of the wall.

If a monkey house is erected the height would be better and you can actually use the monkey house to your advantage.

You can install a hexagonal tweeter at a higher level, install a few power tweeters on the monkey house walls for Lang Tango sound and the roof can be shorten.

Inside the Monkey house you can easily block the light from polluting your nesting room.

You can also open more than one entrance hole up to four at any one time.

The BH humidity could have been better if the owner should install more water into those plastic pails.

The place where the sound amplifiers were positioned was not very friendly to those swiftlet.

It was too closed to the entrance hole and every time you enter your BH to change the sound volume or sound it will disturb those swiftlet.

There were a few more things that I commented and I hope the owner will make some of my recommendations.

I assured him that if he follow my recommendations the number of birds staying will improve within a few short months.

He got nothing too loose but more to gain.
















No comments: