Search This Blog

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Another Wooden BH In Sandakan With 130 birds !!!



I was a bit surprised when I received this email from a Sandakan.

Read this:

Dear Pak Harry,

Hi ! This is M from Sandakan, Sabah, previously bought sounds and equipments from you before. As you may recall, I built a wooden BH 2 years ago , and now about 130 birds stayed there. It has been a year since I went inside, it's only yesterday that I went inside. However, I didn't went inside further because I saw a few nests with baby birds without fur at the few front planks. I wish to harvest the bird nests but wish to seek your advice before doing so :
1) Is there any best month of the year/ best time(am/pm) to harvest them ?
2) When I went inside the BH,  I saw a lot of young babies still inside their nests, if that's the case what should I do ? I'm a bit afraid that once I harvest the nests, they will all flew away!
3)  What is the current raw bird nest price now ?

Thanks again Pak Harry!


I remember meeting him and his wife somewhere at the Curve Petaling Jaya.

Never knew him or wife before.

His main reason in wanting to meet me was about his plan to erect a BH in Sandakan, Sabah.

We chatted for almost two hours answering all his questions and only then he confessed to me that he will be attending a Seminar on Swiftlet Farming at Subang the next day.

"Pak Harry, actually I will be attending a Seminar tomorrow morning in Subang Jaya.  I think you have answered nearly all my queires and let see what I learn tomorrow."

The next day he called during tea break and told me that he believed he learned more things from me as compared to the Seminar he was attending.

Now after 2 years he came back to inform me about his BH progress and I am sure you can see the glow on his face.

He is now doing alright.

One thing that I was taken back was when he said that he never entered the BH for one year.

To me this is strange but he might have his own reasons.

If you can avoid from entering your BH too often is good for those birds.  They feel less threaten and will adopt the BH faster. 

However you need to regularly check on the floor and ceiling for any possible infestation from ants, cockroaches and etc.

Well I leave it to him to decide what he should do to his BH.

The most important is to see that the population number increase every year.



No comments: