Thursday, June 20, 2013
Padang Serai Four Stories BH: A Short Visit !!!
My wife wanted to be back home to celebrate "Father's Day" in SP.
A few days earlier a BH owner from Padang Serai Kulim Kedah called and wanted my service to view his ailing BH.
While my wife was celebrating I was attending to a sick BH.
A very interesting four stories BH with 25 feet wide by 70 feet long and 9 feet high (per floor).
It was a sizable unit and put into operation about 2.5 years ago.
So you wanted to know how many nests inside?
Take a good guess.
The answer is less than 20 nests.
It should have been at least 200 nests after into operation for such a length of time however could not understand the real problems with his BH.
He related to me about how he begin and you will be very surprised with how many BH consultants he engaged.
First consultant was a well known person who seems to attach himself with a prominent BH consultant from Indonesia. Every time he talks about his experience he will start to coin his relationship with Pak Arief Budiman.
According to the BH owner the people who carry out his BH wiring works were brought across from Indonesia.
After operating for almost one year nothing happened.
He started to sort other alternatives.
This was where three more "Consultants" to come over and have a good look at his BH.
After spending a huge sum of money paying these consultants his BH performance remain very little and nothing to be proud of.
He remain persistent and keep looking for alternatives.
That was when he read the news about UCTC of UPM organizing a Seminar on rehabilitation of BHs.
His scheduled was tight since he wanted to perform his UMRAH (a small haj in Mecca) so he pushed in son-in-law to attend on his behalf.
Once he returned he sat down with his SIL from 10pm till 2am to listen to what was tough during the seminar.
The following morning he called me to visit his BH.
"Yes I will be in Kedah during the weekend and I will be happy to visit your BH." I told him.
That was fast and as if God answered his prayer, he told me.
He prayed very hard in Mecca for some divine help and my respond to his call was something he never expected for a yes answer.
"Sure I will come just give me your address." I told him.
The moment I arrived I was amazed with the high, the color and the surrounding.
I wanted to view from the outside but he cautioned me about those bush snakes that are dangerous.
I aborted the external view and entered his data room.
After reviewing his sound system I entered the BH.
First the lowest floor and we climbed up to the highest floor.
I wanted to view the entrance area first and later the rest of the floors.
Nothing unusual and I commented to him the followings:
* The entrance hole was too small and not properly located.
* The grill he installed to prevent those owls were preventing the smooth flow of those wild swiftlet.
* The number of external sound tweeters at the window and the monkey house were not adequate.
* There was nothing to attract birds flying at the other part of the BH.
* The door opening linking the roving and the nesting room was a bit too wide and polluting the whole nesting room (top most floor).
* The BH design placed the LAL far back and not closed to the roving area.
* The ventilation holes were not totally shut and lots of light polluting the nesting room.
* The number of internal sound tweeters were too little.
* Most of the fake nests were occupied and he should have installed more.
* The nesting floors were opened with not a single room.
* The three floors top floors were not wet.
* The insect generating system was not properly located.
* There were lots of fat and healthy cockroaches on the walls and the nesting planks.
* The perimeter of the BH was left bare and lots of ants can easily crawl into the BH.
* The land surrounding the BH should be planted with those "Figs Trees".
After the visit I set down with him to compile a brief report plus various recommendations that will help to activate his BH.
I stayed for almost four hours to talk to him on those things that he should try to plan for his own good.
One of my strong message to him was to carry out force harvest once a year.
This special event will usually help to quickly improve his nests population rise by at least 30%.
What about the translocation?
His reason was that the number of birds flying above his land is by the thousands everyday.
I agreed with him.
Even with thousands of birds out there his BH will remain as it is if he continue to wait and see.
I was pleased when he confirmed accepting all my recommendations.
The proposal was well done and he agrees with my recommendations.