On June 21, 2013 I made a short trip to small town called Jenjarum, Banting Selangor.
My main objective was to view a BH above a two stories shop house owned by Mr T.
Last week he drop by at Salak Tinggi to view the new shop house which I was converting into a BH.
It was during this visit that he requested my help to visit his BH.
He confessed about his addiction to reading my blog.
Every day he will never miss to read my articles and learn a few new things that help to transform his BH in Jenjarom.
"Pak Harry after applying a few ideas copied from your blog, my BH started to show results. I forced my consultant to change his methods of installation of those unusual tweeters and used your method of clusters. He was reluctant but I gave him no choice."
Those few ideas copied seems to be working well and he finally decided to cut his relationship with his consultant.
Beside those internal sound tweeters he also installed (copy my idea) a hexagonal tweeter at the main entrance hole area.
It works very very well according to him. The number of bird coming in surged upward.
His external sound volume inside his BH was on a high side. Those birds seems to be not bothered with the loudness.
During my inspection I told him to look into the followings:
1) He should look into shielding the back and the front walls from heating problem. Use the bubble heat shield protection which I showed in Salak Tinggi. From the various report the temperature will be getting hotter and if he can carry out the heat shielding his BH will be more conducive as compared to all his neighbors.
2) I notice that the few nests he has in his BH was facing the darker sides. This was mainly due to the brightness. I sketched a number of drawing telling him how to create those VIP and VVIP rooms. The number of partition walls were half done. He should transform them into rooms and not half partitions.
3) He should reduce the door size at the entrance hole area smaller. My recommendation was to use a door size of 3 feet wide by 6 feet high. Currently it was floor up to the beam about 3 feet wide by 9 feet high.
4) The location where he installed the hexagonal tweeter was not at the precise location which I wanted to. I told him to relocate to where it can be more effective. The height should not be around 1.5 feet to maximum of 2 feet above the roof surface.
5) He copied those cluster tweeters installation however due to the small size of the corner covers his four tweeters will not fit the crowded area. I recommended the use of those flat plank corners and not the rounded shape corners. The supplier of this flat corners joined me and him for lunch and I advise the owner to order direct from the supplier. The supplier maintained his claim that the flat corner covers can provide two nests as compared to only one using the round shape.
6) His only humidifier machine was not fully utilized. I adjusted the timing for it to be run more hours during the day.
7) I don't actually like the use of those timers to operate the humidifiers but prefer those humidity auto sensors. If you set the auto sensor at 85%RH it will activate at -3% or 82% and stop the humidifier at +3% or 88%RH. He remembered seeing the unit at Salak Tinggi and decided to get one unit.
8) One clear observation about his BH is the overall dryness of the whole house. Nearly all his bird nests were showing cracking signs. I reminded him about how his BH become very dry and he need to improvise more gadgets to make the BH moist. I told him about why most young birds after their first flight off refuse to return home to increase the nests numbers. Main reason why they refuse to return home is mainly the humidity (if your BH temperature is within range). The best option is those wet floors. Yes check the size of your VIP rooms and order the right size of those canvas. Create a pool and fill in with fine sand. Flood the pool and sprinkle some fresh bird shit on the water.
9) I also recommended him to upgrade both the internal and external sounds. It is a high time to change. He have never change them and I think it is the best thing to do after all the revamp works in completed. Personally I believed that if you operate a new BH try to change the external sound to a more attractive sound once every six months or so. This exercise will help to boost more new birds from coming in and check your BH. Usually they will enter your BH and if they like your BH internal features they might want to be your tenant. As for the internal sound you have very little choices. My recommendation is to use SuperBabyKing or BabyKing all the way.
10) I convinced him to try using the force harvest technique to multiply his nest numbers. All BH owners should consider this proven technique. You need to carry out the harvest once a year. If you have problems with taking care of those babies and eggs let me know so that I can bring a foster parent for them. Every time you carry out this force harvest operation you will realized a surge in nests numbers by at least 30%.
After the visit I have a friend who supplied my nesting planks and corner covers supplier to join me for lunch.
This was when we talk about the use of the flat corner covers.
He was very proud of recommending those flat corner covers. His main point was that the flat corner covers provided with two nests as compared to only one when you use those rounded in shape.
I was also showed a newspaper cutting where my picture was on its page.
I cannot read in Chinese characters however I am very proud to be a new celebrity in town.