The newest idea of mine is to test the effectiveness of Super Pheromone liquid inside a BH with high density nests population.
My main objectives are as follows:
1) Beside using it inside a new BH, I wonder if it can also help to populate a BH with heavy nests population.
2) To see if it can be used to locate them at any specific area inside a heavily populated BH.
3) To check if they prefer the one applied directly on the nesting planks on onto fake nests.
My top priority for this project is to evaluate how effective is the pheromone inside a BH that have high density of nests.
In this particular project I choose a BH that have about 1000 plus nests.
It was carried out on our National Day inside a BH located at Nibong Tebal, Penang.
I was very lucky to have a full support by the owner and his son.
I drove down from SP to Nibong Tebal in the afternoon and upon reaching I waited for the two at one of the selected BH.
First I explained to them what I have in mind and how to go about it.
I told them that I brought with me two types of super pheromone.
One inside a container which was recently prepared and was at two concentration.
The second was inside those canister (standard concentration).
The first thing we need to do was to choose where to apply and which specific planks .
The amount we have was enough for about 8 planks (one sided only).
I went around the BH and selected the room which was with lesser number of nests but dark enough to get the attention of those birds.
Once inside the room I pin pointed which row of planks that I was keen to apply the solution.
What I finally decided was to use two methods.
The first was to apply onto the plank surface and the second was to spray onto a row of fake nests installed on the opposite side of the plank.
Before apply the solution the owner's son was kind enough to wire brushed the planks surfaces.
Four of the planks were then applied with the double concentrated solution. All the four were facing the opposite site direction of the birds flying path.
Another four was applied on the side facing directly to the birds flying path.
On the opposite sides of all the eight planks I urged the son's owner to install about 40 pieces of fake nests that were later sprayed with standard concentration canister.
What I wanted to do was to check if these wild birds have any preferences on the concentration and the use of those fake nests (foam or industrial rubber).
I told the owner to shut the BH for at least three week or more to see if there will be any responses.
If they are occupied or with saliva markings we are on the right track.
A positive result will be a big "Jackpot" to the owner.
"Mr G if the pheromone works you will soon have a full house. We shall implement an all out assaults to bring all the neighbors birds inside. For now let us keep our fingers crossed and hope they show some results." I suggested to the owner.
We shall see what happened within the next few weeks.